Allow blacklisting via Called ID

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
qazwart
Allow blacklisting via Called ID

Post by qazwart » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:59 pm

I get a ton of “Customer Service”, “IRS”, “Call Free Number”, “RANDOMVILLE NJ” caller IDs. These are spam calls and I’d like to be able to block them based upon their CID name since the reported “phone number” they’re calling from keeps changing. Bonus if I can block based upon wildcards like “* NJ”.

TonyW

Re: Allow blacklisting via Called ID

Post by TonyW » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:26 pm

This feature has been available for a while now.

https://my.ooma.com/preferences/call_blocking

- Select 'Edit my block list'

- Select 'Block a name'

Of the 4 'Caller Name' options available, I've had the best luck with 'Contains'. Keep the string short & avoid spaces because what may appear to be a single space in the call log, could actually be > 1 space.

No wildcards that I'm aware of, but I agree it could be handy.

This has been my strategy, to date:

https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... 74#p141445

normw2

Post by normw2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Greetings,
I have tried using the block by name, contains, plays disconnected tone.
But... some seem to get through.
Example: Norwalk CA, Los Angeles CA, Whittier CA, Downey CA. These have been on the block list for weeks, some over a year, but still get through.
Background:
I have been logging spam calls since Nov 4, 2014, as a Verizon customer.
I logged close to 2,000 spam calls, over a two year period. Almost unplugged my land line
Started ooma May 9 2016, started nomorobo block feature that evening.
Spam calls went from 5 to 10 a day, down to 5 to 10 a week.
About a 85% reduction. Nice!
For the four years of ooma, I have had to "only" block just under 650 numbers that have slipped past nomorobo, versus close to blocking 2,000 numbers with Verizon, no spam blocker, over a two year period.
Lately, spam calls have been closer to 10 to 20 a week.
I have tried using the feature block by name, contains...
but some seem to slip by, even though the caller ID is on the block list.
How long does it take for a name to be added to block list, for it to be effective, for me?
I realize no spam blocker is perfect, and am happy over all with ooma premier.
Btw, my log list is two columns per page, 35 pages long. It contains the caller ID, time of day, number displayed.
Is there someplace/ person I can send it to?
Would ooma/nomorobo have an interest in using the data I have collected in the past 6 years?
I tried to attach the entire pdf file, but get the error "file to large".
i have attached two pages of my call block list, before and after ooma.
Again, I am over all a satisfied customer, but would welcome any extra help in stopping the spam calls.
Thanks, Norm
Attachments
May 9 2016 Verizon block list .pdf
before ooma spam calls
(190.88KiB)Downloaded 397 times
Feb 2020 ooma block list.pdf
after ooma spam calls
(15.26KiB)Downloaded 422 times

TonyW

Post by TonyW » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:43 pm

> But... some seem to get through.
> Example: Norwalk CA, Los Angeles CA, Whittier CA, Downey CA. These have been on the block
> list for weeks, some over a year, but still get through.

The inherent problem with these examples is the space between city/state. While the log may show a single space, a copy/paste may show that it's actually >1 space. This is done deliberately to skunk blocking strategies? As CIDs are not entirely reliable, I try to keep the strings brief, without spaces (multiple entries, if necessary), or block by <area code/exchange>.

It may take a few hours for added strings to become effective, but I'm guessing that's a worst case. Numbers reported to NMR will be applied early the following Monday AM (at last report).

While, like you, I came from Verizon in 2014, applying my strategy, my lists are brief by comparison.... ~40 CID strings (avoiding spaces for the most part) & local <area code/exchange> combos. I send ALL blocked calls to VM, in the unlikely case I block legit calls (to be whitelisted). Except for the current political robocalls/MS support scams, they rarely leave a msg. I NEVER answer an unknown number & over time, junk calls have fallen off to bursts of 2-3/week for 2-3 weeks & then silence again until the next round... but it took a long time.