COVID-19 and Home Office support

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
currentg4
COVID-19 and Home Office support

Post by currentg4 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:14 am

Local ISP Broadband and 1Gbps connection speed has been around for several years now. And, now with this COVID-19 pandemic, more and more people are working from home. In my home office, I actually have devices that use and support 1Gbps ethernet connection speeds, except one, the Ooma Telo device. So, when will Ooma have a telo device that supports 1GBPS? The reason that I asked this question is that I'm currently evaluating some other manufacturer devices that already support 1Gbps. I like Ooma and want to use the new features of the new Telo device, but not if doesn't support 1Gbps. As with any business, you want to ensure that the market and demand is there. I get that. Gig ethernet speed in not new, but, the demand has been there and the time is now for action. Thank you. :shock: :?

murphy

Re: COVID-19 and Home Office support

Post by murphy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:55 am

Don't put the Telo between your modem and router. Connect it to a port on your router. Don't connect anything to the Home port on the Telo. A telephone call requires less than 1 Mbps. I have two Telos connected to my router. The rest of my network runs at gigabit speeds.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

currentg4

Post by currentg4 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:25 am

:?: Although, this is a good or best practice, this still does not address the new Telo device and when will 1Gbps will be supported on that device. And, besides, almost every manfacturer will tell you the same thing. Most broadband ISP routers only come with 2 ethernet ports. So, I would run out of ports very quickly. :|

calikw

Post by calikw » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:15 pm

I think if you were in a situation where you really needed the full 1Gbps bandwidth, you'd also probably have a switch attached to your modem or a multi-port router with a built in switch. My ISP modem only has 1 port, but the Cisco router has 5, and the switch I have plugged into that has another 5. If you stick the Telo behind the router via one of these ports and configure it correctly, the Telo should never come close to needing 1Gbps in data use so the hardware limitation would be relatively moot.

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm

My Linksys router has 8 LAN ports and there are 7 switches connected to the router. There are 108 IP addresses assigned in my network. This is not a business, it's my automated home.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx