Add back IFTTT integration

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
pamelaantonacci
Add back IFTTT integration

Post by pamelaantonacci » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:14 pm

You guys took back a feature and provided no alternative to get call notifications/ or voicemail notifications. I used this feature for caller id notifications for android tv / sending talking notifications to Alexa for a blind family relative. I’m very disappointed :cry:

Robek

Re: Add back IFTTT integration

Post by Robek » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:54 pm

What would be a good alternative? One problem with free services that depend on third party providers, is the whims of the third party providers. For example, IFTTT limited its free applets, Google limited what IFTTT can do with its API, and Alexa announced that IFTTT will no longer be available, (as of next week).

For the past few years, other users have also reported that IFTTT stopped working for them. Every "smart" provider is always a potential point of failure, beyond Ooma's reach. A non-"smart" alternative may be more reliable, such as a large display Caller ID next to the TV, or a phone with a talking Caller ID.

dodgechargerfan

Post by dodgechargerfan » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:09 pm

Normally, that is understandable.

In this case, IFTTT is blaming Ooma. I think that’s the reason why this thread was started.

I received this email from IFTTT this morning.

“Hi there,

We are writing to let you know that the Ooma service will be removed from IFTTT on Tuesday, November 7, 2023. Unfortunately, the Ooma team is no longer available to support the integration.

We appreciate your understanding and apologize for the inconvenience.”

Whatever the case, whomever pulled the plug on integration, clear communication to your client base is required and expected.
I’m not taking sides here. It’s just that the reply above seems to lay blame at the feet of IFTTT.

I actually came to the main web site and to the forums to check to see if ooma was changing their operational focus or worse.
Unfortunately, that’s the kind of thinking that is driven, in the absence of any communication from ooma, by messages such that IFTTT sent…and by responses blaming the other side.

Robek

Post by Robek » Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:25 pm

The previously mentioned reply was less about laying blame, and more about a loss of control. Ooma does need to provide better communication though, for any changes to their advertised features, whether due to their own actions, or not. Silence just makes it easier for others to blame Ooma for whatever goes wrong.

Ooma originally supported IFTTT triggers for incoming call and voicemail notifications, IFTTT queries for call and voicemail logs, and IFTTT applets to interact with iOS and Android devices, Gmail, Google Drive, Google Sheets, Philips Hue, LIFX, and WeMo.

Then Google restricted its API so IFTTT could no longer access Google Drive or Google Sheets, and IFTTT introduced its "Pro+" tier, so non-paying users could only use three (now two) free applets, and the free applets could no longer perform queries. This broke some applets, but Ooma had no control over that.

IFTTT didn't mention whether the Ooma triggers and queries were still working, but why else would they need the Ooma team to be available to "support the integration" in the first place? Ooma didn't mention anything about it either, but they certainly weren't actively developing anything new for IFTTT.

Ooma never directly supported any integrations between IFTTT and Alexa, but Ooma users were free to create (and support) their own applets. If Amazon discontinued its support for IFTTT, then that is at least one thing that Ooma should not be expected to provide any notice about.