Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lbmofo
Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Post by lbmofo » Thu May 13, 2010 2:37 pm

To compliment southsound's Dilbert comics, what about some light reading? ;)
Davesworld wrote:Hubs use Asterisk, Telos use Freeswitch.
Asterisk vs Freeswitch

FreeSWITCH modules for Asterisk developers

rmlrml808

Post by rmlrml808 » Sat May 15, 2010 5:36 pm

I opened a case with Ooma support, as inbound or out DTMF was not working. They said they made some sort of change, and my outbound DTMF now works fine. But inbound still does not work, and I got the following reply from Ooma support:

Good Morning
Ooma does not yet support INbound DTMF to any other machine hooked up to your ooma number. That may become part of our business package scheduled for later release, but I will not commit at this time. Thank you for letting me know the Outbound DTMF is working now.
Regards

Carol R
Ooma Support
I replied that I thought that was a very bad business practice, as they are not up-front about DTMF when marketing their product. And I sure dont' want to have to buy one of their packages just to get inbound DTMF. Very poor customer service.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat May 15, 2010 6:31 pm

They already have their "residential" usage restriction in their ToS so i don't understand why they need to worry about business usage of the DTMF (that's the reason that I would think would cause them to implement incoming DTMF for a future business package but not their standard residential package)

All most residential people need it for is to retrieve their answering machine messages or to open security gates at the house.

fieldsfam

Post by fieldsfam » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:54 am

Bobby B wrote:We're tracking the inbound DTMF pass through support on the Ooma Telo in bug 5849 (if you need to reference it in the future).

We're currently testing the fix for this bug and making sure it works across a variety of different phone numbers. We're going to make this bug a top priority for resolving after the PureVoice feature rolls out.
Ooma - Today is 3 months since this was posted - any news? I (and I'm sure others) plan to keep checking back on this until it's been resolved. Thanks!

worksong

Post by worksong » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:00 am

Yep. Both my Telos are still within the 1-year no-questions-asked-return window, & I'm watching to see if Ooma does as promised. This is must-have functionality.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:27 am

It's not working on my new Telo to my surprise. High priority for me, too. :cry:

The reason it's a surprise is that they must be doing something very specific to make it not work. DTMF tones, after all, are nothing more than simple audio signals -- not passing them means Ooma must be doing something to detect them and kill the transmission. Removing that rather special code can't be difficult if the software is well written, and probably won't be very difficult even if it is badly written.

gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:53 am

I am not sure I understand, it was resolved for **one** user back in late April (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7415) but is still an unresolved issue?

worksong

Post by worksong » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:10 am

I saw that & immediately tested my systems...no change.

If the problem were really fixed, none of us would be here posting.

Ooma's failure to inform is as discouraging as their failure to fix the problem. I will NOT go through another winter without the ability to remotely control my heat; I tentatively plan to return both my Telo systems to Costco & detail the reason on their review board.

fieldsfam

Post by fieldsfam » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:05 pm

Time for my (at least) monthly comment.

That whooshing sound you all heard was another month flying past.

Would someone from Ooma *please* update this board?

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Bobby B wrote:We are planning to support inbound DTMF on the Ooma Telo, since the device is not limited by this proprietary component.
It's high time you stopped "planning" and began performing. When are you going to support it? What you are doing to your customers falls under the category of "jacking us around", and it's long past time for you to stop it, and give us some answers.