Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
weiheng
Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Post by weiheng » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:06 pm

Bought a refurbished Hub couple weeks ago and to my surprise (yes read a lot about DTMF with Hub), incoming DTMF worked and I was able to retrieve voice mails from home answering machine from a cell phone.

However, just today, tried again and guess what... it doesn't work.

What the $#*%^ is going on????

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:34 pm

weiheng wrote:Bought a refurbished Hub couple weeks ago and to my surprise (yes read a lot about DTMF with Hub), incoming DTMF worked and I was able to retrieve voice mails from home answering machine from a cell phone.

However, just today, tried again and guess what... it doesn't work.

What the $#*%^ is going on????
Let me understand because I tend to get confused easily.
- You did a lot of research including reading a lot about the hub NOT being able to pass DTMF due to hardware constraints
- You bought a refurbished one anyways
- You got it to work for a little while with your answering machine
- Now that it doesn't work, just like your research told you it would not, you are upset (just an assumption due to the "$#*%^"

WHAT PART OF THE HUB DOESN'T PASS DTMF AND NEVER WILL DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND??

Other things you should probably know about the hub (and possibly the Telo):
- You should never use the device to carry or store gasoline.
- The device is not waterproof and should not be operated while submerged.
- Making obscene phone calls from a VoIP system can get you in trouble.
- Do not use your ooma on the stove or oven.

I think Jeff Foxworthy had the best way of summing up the situation: "Here's your sign" (you can google it if you're not a Foxworthy fan).

(Wow. Color's kind of fun. I should use it more often) :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

weiheng

Post by weiheng » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:53 pm

I'm upset or not is not the point. Actually, I'm not sure how I feel about it- yet.

But I do want to know what's going on. How can it worked for a while, but not afterward. I also don't understand why it worked for me then, when all the posts I read said it wouldn't possibly worked. You can say I'm confused...
southsound wrote: Let me understand because I tend to get confused easily.
- You did a lot of research including reading a lot about the hub NOT being able to pass DTMF due to hardware constraints
- You bought a refurbished one anyways
- You got it to work for a little while with your answering machine
- Now that it doesn't work, just like your research told you it would not, you are upset (just an assumption due to the "$#*%^"

WHAT PART OF THE HUB DOESN'T PASS DTMF AND NEVER WILL DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND??

Other things you should probably know about the hub (and possibly the Telo):
- You should never use the device to carry or store gasoline.
- The device is not waterproof and should not be operated while submerged.
- Making obscene phone calls from a VoIP system can get you in trouble.
- Do not use your ooma on the stove or oven.

I think Jeff Foxworthy had the best way of summing up the situation: "Here's your sign" (you can google it if you're not a Foxworthy fan).

(Wow. Color's kind of fun. I should use it more often) :P

atoddward

Post by atoddward » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Has this been implemented???? Huge problem for me at the moment!
My Ooma number is forwarded to an automated attendant and key presses are not recognized properly!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Incoming DTMF is now working with Telo but not with Hub.

exp1orer

Post by exp1orer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:03 pm

First I want to say, SouthSound you are an a**hole. This forum is for helping people not berating them for your own enjoyment. If you think that when someone buys a new phone system the first thing they should do is to Google whether or not it accepts DTMF then I'm guessing you don't spend much time outside of the World of Warcraft. However when I did decide to dump Vonage and port 2 numbers over to ooma I did check to see if it would work with two separate phone lines and if it would work with my Digital Hybrid pbx. In doing so, I found out that if you wanted to use ooma and maintain a totally separate line I had to buy the old hub and get a scout, and that it did work with pbx. Now, After buying the Older tech on purpose and spending a month porting 2 numbers and subscribing to premier, do I find out that it wont do one simple function that all phones do????? And you think that I'm Unreasonable?

So, if someone has a workaround for this or something useful I would like to hear from you.

If you just like to make others feel bad and that somehow makes you feel better about yourself, don't bother.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:23 pm

exp1orer wrote:First I want to say, SouthSound you are an a**hole. This forum is for helping people not berating them for your own enjoyment. If you think that when someone buys a new phone system the first thing they should do is to Google whether or not it accepts DTMF then I'm guessing you don't spend much time outside of the World of Warcraft. However when I did decide to dump Vonage and port 2 numbers over to ooma I did check to see if it would work with two separate phone lines and if it would work with my Digital Hybrid pbx. In doing so, I found out that if you wanted to use ooma and maintain a totally separate line I had to buy the old hub and get a scout, and that it did work with pbx. Now, After buying the Older tech on purpose and spending a month porting 2 numbers and subscribing to premier, do I find out that it wont do one simple function that all phones do????? And you think that I'm Unreasonable?

So, if someone has a workaround for this or something useful I would like to hear from you.

If you just like to make others feel bad and that somehow makes you feel better about yourself, don't bother.
No, I really don't like making others feel bad and I think you may be being a little harsh since I've never responded to your posts before. The reason I was so terse with weiheng was that he/she had done a lot of research and bought it anyways. I don't expect the typical user to even find this forum unless they have a problem. My goal here is to help others get the best they can from their systems. You will find many of my posts are to do just that. I'm not trying to prove anything and I'm definitely not into hurting people.

The reason (according to ooma engineering) that the hub cannot pass incoming DTMF is due to a contractural restriction on one of the components in the hub. The hub uses a version of Asterisk and runs on a different processor than the Telo. The Telo uses Freeswitch. Both are capable of passing DTMF both directions. Ooma has never identified the source of the problem past what I just explained. So it seems like it is not a technical limitation but rather one involved with a contractual obligation and ooma is unlikely to do anything that would get them sued.

If you are still able, you might want to see if you can exchange your hub/scout system for two Telo systems. If you can, you may not even need Premier - and that could go a long way towards paying for the second Telo. There are several who have your exact situation and have had good results with the multiple Telo scenario.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.