Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
worksong
Re: Support DTMF through the phone port for incoming calls

Post by worksong » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:05 pm

I agree w/fieldsfam: ooma owes us an answer. This has been a known issue, with a fix promised, for a VERY long time.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat May 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Have folks tried it recently?

This person says it was fixed for him on his Telo.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7415

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat May 01, 2010 6:11 pm

sfhub wrote:Have folks tried it recently?

This person says it was fixed for him on his Telo.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7415
It still does not work on my system. I could hear the system muting the connection when I tried the DTMF from the inbound call.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Sat May 01, 2010 6:15 pm

worksong wrote:I agree w/fieldsfam: ooma owes us an answer. This has been a known issue, with a fix promised, for a VERY long time.
If this were true, so would the majority of ITSPs. DTMF is not as straightforward on VOIP as with PSTN. DTMF in band or out of band is not straightforward and a one setting fits all scenario. Certain female voices trigger DTMF Talk Off depending on the setting of the ATA resulting in beeps following certain tones produced by their voice. Blindly allowing inbound DTMF across the board can lead to some rather interesting results, usually unwanted ones.

This reminds me of the Terminatrix played by Kristiana Loken in Terminator III when she used a car phone to send data via her mouth to set the rise of the machines in motion.

fieldsfam

Post by fieldsfam » Sat May 01, 2010 8:11 pm

I just tested it again - mine is still not passing inbound DTMF.

I get it, this is hard, but not impossible. I was perfectly happy with the way Vonage and Comcast passed inbound DTMF - they somehow figured this out. (I was not perfectly happy with the $$$ I transferred from my bank to theirs every month for phone service).

What is *not* impossible, nor even hard, is Ooma maintaining the communication channel here to keep us up to date on the progress. Statements were made and expectations set - this is, as much as anything, about managing our expectations

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sun May 02, 2010 11:42 am

I would agree that the issue of communication and the issue of implementation are distinct and separate.

I don't think anyone is saying it is easy to fix either, but neither is it a brand new never before seen problem. It is known in the VOIP world and others have addressed it, not necessarily with 100% satisfaction, but to the point that most people are not complaining.

Ooma has been ok in the past about responding relatively quickly and honestly on the forums. They might just be busy.

worksong

Post by worksong » Wed May 12, 2010 8:29 am

I agree that Ooma has communicated pretty well in the past...but that seems to be changing.

After I retested my own setup & found no DTMF fix in place, I [again] wrote to Tami Bhaumik, Marketing VP. No response.

Implementing this solution has been an Ooma "top priority" for so long that it makes me wonder whether the company is accomplishing anything at all...indeed, if it's healthy.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:28 am

worksong wrote: Implementing this solution has been an Ooma "top priority" for so long that it makes me wonder whether the company is accomplishing anything at all...indeed, if it's healthy.
Seriously?!? I don't know where you got the impression that this has been there "top priority". I'm sure to anyone who has an issue that they'd like to see resolved, that's their top priority.

Removing the press 1 prompt to answer a multi-ring call was requested as early as January 2009 and finally implemented last month. And this was requested by a large number of users, some of whom were going to cancel premier or return their systems if it didn't get implemented. Yes, it took a long time to implement, but they're listening and improving the service for the users. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=583&start=30#p54216

BTW, there were not a lot of thanks when the option to remove the press 1 prompt was implemented by all those that were complaining.

They also added PureVoice as part of the basic service to improve the performance for all users. https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-purevoice

So, I don't understand where you get the idea that the company is not "accomplishing anything at all".

worksong

Post by worksong » Thu May 13, 2010 12:31 pm

"I can tell you that it is a top priority for us and we are diligently working to solve the issue."

Tami Bhaumik
VP, Corporate Marketing
3/2/10

Her predecessor--Rich Buchanan--wrote the same thing months earlier.

Hope that's clear.

When a company does not fix a stated "top priority" problem for an extended term & also issues no update or comment, it's natural to wonder why.

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu May 13, 2010 12:52 pm

worksong wrote:"I can tell you that it is a top priority for us and we are diligently working to solve the issue."

Tami Bhaumik
VP, Corporate Marketing
3/2/10

Her predecessor--Rich Buchanan--wrote the same thing months earlier.

Hope that's clear.

When a company does not fix a stated "top priority" problem for an extended term & also issues no update or comment, it's natural to wonder why.
Just some random thoughts about Marketing. Tami, please forgive me. :P

ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.