Pricing for Ooma Premier

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Lola
Re: Pricing for Ooma Premier

Post by Lola » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:34 am

You bring up a good point, the term "current customer" that is all over the new terms and conditions really needs to be defined. What is the official cut-off date for a current customer, and does that mean activating by that date or purchasing by that date. And when you buy a replacement unit, I would still think you keep your current customer status, since you are. I dont know what to tell people.

tao

Post by tao » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:37 am

deleted
Last edited by tao on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tivoboy

Post by tivoboy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:44 am

I wish the world wasn't all going DECT 6.0, I hate those handsets. Too much EMF/RF all the time

jtykal

Re: Pricing for Ooma

Post by jtykal » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:43 am

I can't argue with Ooma needing to recover the $11.75 government Regulatory Fee from users who want to use the "free" service, but subscribers to Premier should have that cost buried in their annual fees. Also, forcing new customers to the Premier tier in order to get simple voicemail was, IMHO, a poor business decision that will turn away a lot of customers. Give away the voicemail button -- and make the "advanced voicemail" features such as DND, email/web access, and call logs part of the Premier offering.

Aveamantium

Re: Pricing for Ooma

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:52 am

jtykal wrote:I can't argue with Ooma needing to recover the $11.75 government Regulatory Fee from users who want to use the "free" service, but subscribers to Premier should have that cost buried in their annual fees. Also, forcing new customers to the Premier tier in order to get simple voicemail was, IMHO, a poor business decision that will turn away a lot of customers. Give away the voicemail button -- and make the "advanced voicemail" features such as DND, email/web access, and call logs part of the Premier offering.
Oh I don't know... I think having a free dialtone is still a good deal. However I subscribe to Premier so I'm a little biased. Also, whatever drives more people to get the Premier service is good for the business model, which is good for all of us!!
Go AVS!

Big Boy Laroux

Post by Big Boy Laroux » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 am

Or it causes people to look at other options besides ooma, ooma doesn't make money, ooma goes under, and we have a nice-looking brick attached to our modems.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:07 am

Big Boy Laroux wrote:Or it causes people to look at other options besides ooma, ooma doesn't make money, ooma goes under, and we have a nice-looking brick attached to our modems.
It could but if you're looking at it from a new customer's perspective (and it is clearly spelled out on the box) that you get free phone, free call waiting, free caller ID then compared to most pots lines that is a great deal. Then when they can see all the additional things they can get (second line, black lists, VM, etc.) for 9.99 a month then HOPEFULLY they say heck that's a good deal! Notice I said HOPEFULLY... Only time will tell...
Go AVS!

Big Boy Laroux

Post by Big Boy Laroux » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:10 am

good point. As someone that knows what ooma USED to offer for free, it sounds like a bad deal. But for new customers that had no idea of the old way, maybe it helps.

But I'll bet they've lost people that were on the fence or were waiting until telo came out to make a decision. I was planning to wait for telo, but decided to buy the Hub cause i already have expandable DECT phones. Glad I did.

niknak

Post by niknak » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:14 am

ggilman wrote:...That doesn't mean the $400 folks. I bought mine of ebay for about half, but since I've had it for several months, I assume I'm covered under "current customers"...
that's how I interpret that

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:21 am

Big Boy Laroux wrote:Or it causes people to look at other options besides ooma, ooma doesn't make money, ooma goes under, and we have a nice-looking brick attached to our modems.
When looking at other options, presumably one that includes VM, the cost factors looking forward 2-3 years still favor Ooma basic using your own answering machine, unless you are willing to pay someone else a bunch more for VM:

End year 1 total cost $250, monthly amortized cost $20.83 since start of year 1.

End year 2 total cost since beginning year 1 is $261.75 (includes second year regulatory fee), monthly amortized cost $10.91 since start of year 1.

End year 3 total cost since beginning year 1 is $273.50, monthly amortized cost $7.60 since start of year 1.