PORTING NIGHTMARE!!!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
purc1234
Re: PORTING NIGHTMARE!!!

Post by purc1234 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:04 pm

Well, regardless of WHO I choose to believe, if my current provider continues to claim they haven't received the port request, there's really nothing OOMA (or myself) can do to make this happen. 6 months or 1 year from now, my phone number still won't be ported if they won't acknowledge receipt of the port request.

Honestly, I don't believe the argument that my provider is LYING to me. How does that benefit them? I'm just one customer in a sea of millions. I don't think my provider (Time Warner) is going to lose much money by letting me switch to OOMA. I don't believe that for a second. I'm still shocked that OOMA's customer service told me this was the reason for the delay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the idea of using OOMA, but if I can't get my phone number ported, it's just a useless piece of equipment sitting in my house.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:04 am

purc1234 wrote: Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the idea of using OOMA, but if I can't get my phone number ported, it's just a useless piece of equipment sitting in my house.
Did you connect the equipment and obtain a temporary phone number from Ooma?

purc1234

Post by purc1234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:03 am

No, I didn't opt for a temporary phone number. I figured that I have to keep my current provider anyway until the port completes, so why get a temp number? I don't need a second phone line. It would just complicate an already messed up process.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:21 am

Did you set up your hub with your existing number integrated, or is the Ooma equipment completely unused?

purc1234

Post by purc1234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:54 am

My OOMA equipment is connected to my cable modem and router, but is unused (unusable). I have a red light on the back of the OOMA box.

How would I set it up to integrate with my existing number? What are the benefits of doing this?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:05 am

purc1234 wrote:My OOMA equipment is connected to my cable modem and router, but is unused (unusable). I have a red light on the back of the OOMA box.

How would I set it up to integrate with my existing number? What are the benefits of doing this?
No benefit IMHO if you are going to port your landline, but if your Ooma Hub has not successfully registered itself on the Ooma network, perhaps that's why your port is held up. Did you activate your Hub online? You should have been given a choice of an Ooma assigned number or integrating your landline. If you chose integration, you must plug the wall port of the hub to your landline wall jack.

purc1234

Post by purc1234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:08 am

Yes, I activated my hub online (entered serial number/MAC address, etc.) and selected to port my existing landline number to OOMA. The light on the hub has been red ever since.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:09 am

purc1234 wrote:My OOMA equipment is connected to my cable modem and router, but is unused (unusable). I have a red light on the back of the OOMA box.

As stated in the documentation, you need to connect the wall port on the back of the Ooma Hub or Telo to the wall jack in your house to supply dialtone from your existing provider to the Ooma. This will allow the Ooma hub to register and connect to the Ooma service. You will then be able to make long distance calls that will go through your Ooma connection to test out the service and get benefit from it while you wait for porting.

purc1234

Post by purc1234 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:14 am

bw1 wrote:As stated in the documentation, you need to connect the wall port on the back of the Ooma Hub or Telo to the wall jack in your house to supply dialtone from your existing provider to the Ooma.
We currently have digital phone with Time Warner so our cable modem is an integrated 'cable modem/phone hub'. It drives (sources) the wall jack which supplies signal to the rest of the wall jacks in our house. Are you suggesting that I take the "phone" output from the cable modem and feed this into the OOMA hub and connect the wall port (output) from the OOMA hub to the the wall jack?

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:20 am

Since your "landline" is actually cable VoIP, I would call customer service an get them to change from landline integration to stand alone with a temporary Ooma number. Your Hub will then be able to register on the Ooma network without the wall port connected and when your TWC number is ported it will replace the temporary Ooma number. In the meantime you will be able to use your Ooma equipment.