Intercom via hub/scout

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
JohnS
Intercom via hub/scout

Post by JohnS » Mon May 26, 2008 7:00 pm

It would be great to be able to intercom an announcement out the hub/scout speakers. I would use this all the time to tell someone to pick up a call for them in our house. It would be similar in function to overhead paging at an office.

John Sullivan

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: Intercom via hub/scout

Post by Bobby B » Wed May 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi John, thanks for the feature suggestion. Just thinking aloud - currently there is no integrated microphone in the ooma devices, however it might be possible to use an attached handset as the device to capture the voice input and to play the page out the speakers of the ooma devices. I'll investigate this further.

Also, just a FYI - many cordless handset systems have an intercom ability already. You may check if your cordless system supports this feature if you needed intercom functionality today.

-Bobby
Bobby B

juicy360

Post by juicy360 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:37 pm

Could the USB port on the hub be programmed to support a web cam?

Would be awesome if from the ooma lounge you could monitor a room in your house. I'm thinking of people with elderly family or to check on the baby sitter.

I realize there are other solutions for this, but since you have the USB port and your already connected to broadband, it seems possible.

Maybe even go a step further and develop a small 6" LCD screen with built in web cam for video chat via your ooma hub/scouts? (make them vertical like in the movie Total Recall) :)

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:25 am

Hi juicy360, developing support for USB peripherals like web cams is a great ide. Unfortunately, we have no plans to develop external USB peripherals for the Hub because the USB port lacks the capability to support these devices.