Hub or Telo

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
tigercruise
Hub or Telo

Post by tigercruise » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:42 am

Which is better?

southsound

Re: Hub or Telo

Post by southsound » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:45 am

I posted this answer to your question in another thread:
southsound wrote:
tigercruise wrote:
southsound wrote: I used to work for ATT and PacBell so I think I can get things to work fine for you without having to give up the hub which I personally like better than the Telo.
Why the hub better? I'm new to Ooma so bear with me. I purchased the Telo thinking it was an upgrade over the hub (which was cheaper). So, why do you like the hub better? Thanks.
Let me try to explain my personal feelings. I have used the hub since February - the Telo since late August. When I bought the hub it was rock solid but I had a really bad problem with echo. ooma was able to fix that by examining my call records and comparing the suspect calls with their routing logs. In a few weeks my service went from "variable" to "stellar" and has stayed that way. When I first started using the Telo it had some issues that have since been corrected by numerous updates to the software that are automatically "pushed" to the unit. Every day my experience gets better with it. The Telo also has a different processor, different VOIP software platform, and will be the system that is capable of doing things that the hub will not merely because of these differences. It also has a built-in DECT 6.0 base that interacts with the proprietary Telo handset. This handset looks great in pictures, but for older eyes like mine, I need glasses to use it. Not true of my Uniden DECT 6.0 handsets. I can even read them in the dark. Some day, I imagine, ooma will put out a new version of the handset that will work with the existing Telo but will have the state of the art display that it is now lacking.

Downside of the Telo for me is that it does not allow wired access to the second line on the system. To use some of the Premier features, you HAVE to access them from a Telo handset. Things like Instant Secold Line, a dedicated second number (like you would have for a fax) and a few others. If the handset range is not great enough for your needs, then you are unable to use those features. I have an 80' long house. The handsets don't do that well in some rooms. I also have a barn that is several hundred feet from the house. I have buried cable to it so I can use a wired connection, but not the Telo handset. With the hub/scout you can have two wired ports and even use a two line phone if you like to access them.

These concerns may not affect most users. Some have smaller properties and better eyesight. Others have no need for a second wired line. For them, the Telo is an excellent choice. In my mind, it is like trying to decide between two luxury cars from a reputable company. Some folks will want the sport coupe, others will be drawn to the SUV. Which one is better? Well if you have 4 kids I think the sport coupe may not be the best "fit". Just my thoughts, YMMV. :cool:
If you give us a little more information on how you intend to use your ooma, what features you find important, and any special requirements, we can start a pretty good discussion that may help you in making the decision. Lots of really insightful people on the forum who are always happy to help!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

oomg

Post by oomg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:41 am

I too have been using my Hub/Scout since February and the Telo since sometime in August. While I also agree with much of what Southsound says, I have a little different take on the situation. Personally, I like the "feel" of the keys on the Hub and Scout. I also like the red lights as red will not dilate my eyes in a dark room. Of course, I do like my blue tab, but it is relatively small and seems to dim much quicker than the othere lights on the Hub/Scout panel. In contrast, I like the look of the Telo... very classy and modern. Both seem to function very well, although I have had only limited experience with the Telo Handset.

Looks (and feels) aside, for me it comes down to the intended use. For smaller applications (e.g. base and maybe one or two handsets), the Telo seems to have the edge. For a larger application, I like the Hub/Scout. By way of example, I have a rather large home. We currently have 12 cordless stations working on my primary number (honestly, we did not want anyone to be more that 50 feet from a phone while in the house). These are connected up through four separate corless base stations; one with 6 units at the Hub; one with 4 units at a separate Scout; and two separate cordless stations to separate Scouts in the upstairs bedrooms. I also have a second line (with Premier Service) connected to an assigned Scout in my home office/study. The system has been nearly flawless... couple hiccups.

Several friends and relatives will be getting new Ooma systems this year. Some will be getting Telo and some will be getting the Hub/Scout, depending on what I perceive as their individual needs. I'm sure every one of them will be thanking me every month in the coming year, and maybe well beyond.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

07pilot4me

Post by 07pilot4me » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:49 am

man, you guys have some BIG houses :D

perhaps my main problem has been WANTING all the Premier features (since i do have a free trial), i guess i can live without the cool features of having second line and able to answer a call on another handset while phone is being used.

the Telo might just be good enough for my needs...

MY dream scenario: Telo hooked up to Panasonic Dect 6.0 system AND have second phone number/make calls while other handset in use... Are these possible without the Telo Handset???

main thing i wanted is to save on monthly phone bill :cool:

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:28 pm

07pilot4me wrote:MY dream scenario: Telo hooked up to Panasonic Dect 6.0 system AND have second phone number/make calls while other handset in use... Are these possible without the Telo Handset???
No.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

tigercruise

Post by tigercruise » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:51 pm

southsound wrote:
Downside of the Telo for me is that it does not allow wired access to the second line on the system. To use some of the Premier features, you HAVE to access them from a Telo handset. Things like Instant Secold Line, a dedicated second number (like you would have for a fax) and a few others. If the handset range is not great enough for your needs, then you are unable to use those features. I have an 80' long house. The handsets don't do that well in some rooms. I also have a barn that is several hundred feet from the house. I have buried cable to it so I can use a wired connection, but not the Telo handset. With the hub/scout you can have two wired ports and even use a two line phone if you like to access them.
First, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really do appreciate it.

I have the Telo and was thinking of adding a second line. What I didn't realize is that the Telo did not allow wired access to the second line. If I understand this correctly, in order to have a second line with the Telo, you have to connect a Telo Handset to your land lines in the house. Is that correct? Again thanks for helping.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:03 pm

tigercruise wrote:
I have the Telo and was thinking of adding a second line. What I didn't realize is that the Telo did not allow wired access to the second line. If I understand this correctly, in order to have a second line with the Telo, you have to connect a Telo Handset to your land lines in the house. Is that correct? Again thanks for helping.
The Telo supports one wired line through the Phone port on the back of the Telo. The second line is supported only on the proprietary Telo handset. It is a special DECT 6.0 handset that uses the Telo as a base station. The Telo supports up to for of these handsets. They allow you to access either line, use the instant second line, or even assign a special number to the handset, like a teen line to keep the parents from always hearing the phone ring. The first line could be off the Telo's Phone port and might be a Uniden or Panasonic DECT 6.0 system with as many handsets as required.

The landline issue is really not important in these considerations. ooma does not need it and there are really very few advantages to having the landline integrated into the Telo or the older hub. I keep my landline separate and use a combination of corded and cordless phones just for the landline. The corded ones provide emergency backup in case of power failure (frequent) or network outage (infrequent except that our DSL goes down from the utility when the power goes off. It is not on battery from the utility).
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

fishmister

Post by fishmister » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:58 am

To me that is the down side of Telo is the second line has to be on the Telo handsets. I don't like their handset for everyday use.... can't pinch between you shoulder and ear. (I was/am a part of the Telo beta test). Plus it has no headset jack for when I am working from home and taking calls while typing. Speaker phone is usually annoying to the party on the other end.

It Telo supported a second line through wire and their handsets I would switch to Telo. But I like having both the Hub and Scout setup so I can keep my work life and family life are separated. I feel they launched the Telo handsets prematurely for Christmas. I have a co-worker who bought the Telo and is happy but he also bought two handsets and right now telo only supports one works because they are having issues with two handsets.

With all that said I like Ooma better than Vonage. I was with Vonage for 5 years. When it comes down to it the price and voice quality Ooma blows every VOIP/Telecom out of the water.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:56 am

Fishmister,

I've seen many posts from happy Scout users such as yourself and I'm curious if you've experienced the same Scout scratchy outgoing voice quality problem that I and many others on this forum have found intolerable?

Since this scratchy voice is only heard by the other party, I can't help but suspect that you have not listened to a Scout call from the non-Ooma end.

I fully agree with your other comments on Ooma. Our family is very happy with 4 Hubs in 3 houses. We only use Scouts to access VM.

I have no personal experience with Telo, but I have read many critical posts like yours about the Telo handset. I've had my old 10-handset, 2-line Uniden phone system for years and it works great connected to 2 Hubs (without Premier).

My vote on Hub vs Telo would be for the Hub because of the convienience of the Scout as a nice small-footrint VM checking device that makes it easy to put the Hub anywhere like in the wiring closet where it belongs. The zero annual fees because of grandfathered TOS is also a nice plus.

Bill

mianesva

Post by mianesva » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:54 pm

I just received a note in email with offer to upgrade to telo for $199.

I am a lifetime member with hub/scout (core)

I tried telo when it came out, but did not like it for the various reasons on the forums (1 phone line, handset not very good, short distance)

Since then I understand the software has improved and so have the features although the handset is still the same

I have 2 numbers and do have the bad upload quality when using scout.... so looking into doing some changes... Not sure if the issue is worse if someone in the house is using the main line when I am using scout line....

Are people in general upgrading from core to telo?

Thanks