Referral Bonus

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
JadeKyle
Referral Bonus

Post by JadeKyle » Thu May 29, 2008 7:02 am

I am a new Ooma customer, but, am also a very vocal, "word-of-mouth" advertiser. My father just bought his Ooma, and today one of my co-workers confirmed that he is calling tonight. As a product advertiser, I stand alot to lose should the product fail their expectations...I, therefore, feel that there should be more to gain for recommending your service. Any chance of a future incentive program, and a way to retro-actively reward those of us that are helping to expand the base?
Ooma Service:
Lifetime Premiere account
Ooma Equipment:
Ooma original Hub and Scout
Ooma Telo
2-HD2 handsets
Ooma Customer Since: April 2008

donwob

Re: Referral Bonus

Post by donwob » Thu May 29, 2008 12:05 pm

As a professional in the marketing industry, (not working for Ooma) I can only comment on what I have seen in the past. Compaines like Tivo and Palm, both have had referal programs but have since shut them down.

I have to believe, that if a company chooses to end a referal program, they would have to have hard data to support that it is not a profitable marketing program that generates future revenue.

If Palm and Tivo, can't make it work, chances of Ooma putting it in place are slim.

I continue to share my excitment for Ooma to my friends and family, I want Ooma to succeed. I want them to sell more boxes and be profitable so I can have a free phone. I think that is a great reward.

JadeKyle

Post by JadeKyle » Thu May 29, 2008 4:47 pm

Point taken donwob, but like Tivo, (of which I had 3 referals), if I sell a used car to a family member...rest assured if something goes wrong they will be calling you. My dad has already used me as tech support several times. I try to politely put my foot down, but because I found Ooma through tech podcasts and did my research, I have the pleasure of being the local authority on the topic.
Ooma Service:
Lifetime Premiere account
Ooma Equipment:
Ooma original Hub and Scout
Ooma Telo
2-HD2 handsets
Ooma Customer Since: April 2008

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Fri May 30, 2008 1:35 pm

Very interesting perspective donwob. I'm going to see if I can find out more about why those companies chose to end their referral programs. One possibility (and this is pure conjecture) is that they both have a well-established brand/product and started to see diminishing returns in their referral program.

Whatever the case may be though, we have been working to put in place a referral program and reward customers for helping us spread the word about ooma. Look for an announcement in the near future.

Guess we'll find out first hand how well it does. :)

donwob

Post by donwob » Sat May 31, 2008 12:08 am

Oy vey, look at me back pedal here.

Dennis, as a very happy customer I look forward to the new referral program.

Don

qharrison77

Post by qharrison77 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:30 am

So almost a year later, is there a referal program? I talk to people about ooma, but a lot of people are afraid to make the change. If I were getting something in return, I would go into more detail about all that it does. I know I would be the tech support for all my friends and family so a little something for my time would be appreciated. I love my ooma!

oomg

Post by oomg » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:21 am

qharrison77 wrote:So almost a year later, is there a referal program? I talk to people about ooma, but a lot of people are afraid to make the change. If I were getting something in return, I would go into more detail about all that it does. I know I would be the tech support for all my friends and family so a little something for my time would be appreciated. I love my ooma!
Bobby B wrote:We had a referral program last year, but its since been discontinued. We're hoping to relaunch another one sometime in the next 2-3 months.
Bobby B's comment was posted on January 15, 2009. So, let's see... 3 months would be April 15, 2009. Hopefully, ooma will come up with something.

As I said in another thread devoted to the issue of referrals:
"As far as a future referral program is concerned, I would suggest something along the following lines: Extend the referring party's Premier service for a specified period of time for each confirmed referral to a new owner/subscriber who signs onto the Premier service. I would recommend a three month extension of the Premier service (approximately a $25 value) for each referral where the new sub signs up for one year, with a one month extension of service for those who sign up on a monthy, pay as you go plan. As an alternative, give the referring party the option of selecting between extending his Premier service or a credit on an extra line for some specified period. I have seen similar referral programs work well with other services (e.g. efax)."

Based on the statistical sales information I have seen, only 20-25% of ooma users are opting into the Premier service. Based upon my experience, I am surprised that the number isn't closer to 80% or even more. The added cost of the Premier service is about the same as the monthly cost of ATnT's message system, and the ooma's entire system is far superior.

I don't think there is a sufficient margin on the product to allow ooma to give a significant referral bonus on the sale of the equipment particularly considering most units are retailed by other sellers. On the other hand giving a referral consisting of an extension of service for new Premier service customers costs ooma very little, if anything, out of their pocket, and in fact, would likely have the end result of encouraging more people to sign up for ooma's Premier service so that they too would be qualified to receive a referral bonus.

Having said all that, I wouldn't mind seeing ooma implement some sort of reseller program if it could be done without alienating existing retailers.

oomg
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:29 am

Unfortunately we won't be able to relaunch the referral program this month. This isn't due to product margin reasons (before we were supporting $25 giftcards or $50 of international credit), but is rather due to engineering resources.

Because of the large sales spike that put a strain on our support resources, we've reshifted some of our engineering and staff priorities to optimizing and automating the support processes (particularly the number porting process).

Right now, I'm not too sure when the referral program will launch, but I'm guessing it'll be in the summer at the earliest.
Bobby B

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:31 am

thanks for the update Bobby

number9

Post by number9 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:40 am

What ever happened to unselfish acts? My referral bonus is helping friends and family save money every month. My initial 'bonus' from ooma was saving me $30.00 a month. $360.00 a year that I can apply to my mortgage or what ever else I choose.
A short anecdote if you will. I asked some one on this forum a non *NON* ooma technical question. He didn't say "Barry, (I'm Barry) Put $5.00 in my paypal account and I'll help you" He answered the question. Seemed glad to do it. Now, that's what I'm talking about! Thank you again sir!
I want ooma to stay in business. My opinion is why not just spread the gospel of ooma and help others save money and let the company put money where it is really needed.
Having said that; Mojo, Dennis,Booby B, you can send the new scout to : B4549 Cornfield, Indiana.
Plays PRS guitars