No Google Voice for original hub

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
ooma-fan
Re: No Google Voice for original hub

Post by ooma-fan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:10 pm

southsound wrote:
ooma-fan wrote:I bought Ooma hub and Premier mainly because of "coming" Google Voice Extensions and dream softphone feature.
Never buy a product based on future features! I have 3 ReplayTV's (now retired) that are still waiting for the massive feature update that will be availble in Spring 2003.

Giving the GVE is not available to OOMA hub yet, I am wondering if I could have my outgoing OOMA calls with my GV Caller ID?

How do you folks take advantage of Google Voice with existing Ooma hub?

:idea: :?:
I have two posts on page 10 of this thread that will answer your questions:
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... =90#p52794
One post is at the top of the page, one at the bottom.
southsound,
I have been using GV, all incoming calls will ring my ooma phone or cell phone; but for outgoing call, I hate to login to google every time just to show up my GV number as outgoing CID.

I am a little slow here, would you mind repeating your answer one more time? Does ooma hub have the capability to send my GV number as outgoing CID or not? If yes, that's good enough for me, how do you do it – with a standalone ooma hub?
Lifetime Premier Member

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:10 am

ooma-fan wrote:I am a little slow here, would you mind repeating your answer one more time? Does ooma hub have the capability to send my GV number as outgoing CID or not? If yes, that's good enough for me, how do you do it – with a standalone ooma hub?
The Hub does not have any special GV capability. You can dial out from your GV number from any phone by first dialing your GV number and logging into voicemail, then press 2 and the number you wish to call.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:09 pm

Groundhound wrote:
ooma-fan wrote:I am a little slow here, would you mind repeating your answer one more time? Does ooma hub have the capability to send my GV number as outgoing CID or not? If yes, that's good enough for me, how do you do it – with a standalone ooma hub?
The Hub does not have any special GV capability. You can dial out from your GV number from any phone by first dialing your GV number and logging into voicemail, then press 2 and the number you wish to call.
I do just as Groundhound suggested. And if you are not afraid of someone spoofing your CID and getting your voicemail, you can set GV to not require a pin when called from your ooma number. We have our GV number on speed dial. Press one button, connect to GV, press 2, the 10 digit number, then #.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

ooma-fan

Post by ooma-fan » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:33 am

Thanks Groundhound and southsound for sharing the workaround!
I don't mind to press a couple of more buttons, but I just don't understand why OOMA would not simply make GVM simply available to ooma hub to protect hub users' investment.
Lifetime Premier Member

VicMatson

Post by VicMatson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:47 am

Another thing you can use using your Google Voice account from a PC to dial out. I use Chrome as my browser and have an extension that when I click it you just start typing the number (or name if it's a GV contact). It then dials you and when you pick up dials that number using GV as CID.

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:15 pm

VicMatson wrote: I use Chrome as my browser and have an extension that when I click it you just start typing the number (or name if it's a GV contact). It then dials you and when you pick up dials that number using GV as CID.
Now if only they would make that same 'dialing' Extension for Firefox users!
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:24 pm

Soundjudgment wrote:
VicMatson wrote: I use Chrome as my browser and have an extension that when I click it you just start typing the number (or name if it's a GV contact). It then dials you and when you pick up dials that number using GV as CID.
I haven't tried it out yet but there's this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11167

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:30 pm

Groundhound wrote:
Soundjudgment wrote:
I haven't tried it out yet but there's this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11167
Sadly, I have seen this add-on and it seems like it is chocked full of problems. The extension does not automatically tie to the user already logged into to their Google account. You have to sign in separately to the extension and that in turn causes you to drop out of your account login with Google. It is an early release, so if they could marry that function better (as the other author does in Chrome) it would be worth a shot.
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

VicMatson

Post by VicMatson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:47 pm

I'm a FF fan too, but Chrome is killing me. Try Chrome and you'll see a crazy speed difference. In a few months there will be new Android phones that have GV baked in...how about that? You should be able to use either GV or Ooma as your CID just like on my Android cell phone.

pastorshaw

Post by pastorshaw » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:55 am

Here's some hope of "Leaving No Ooma Behind."

http://clothsoup.blogspot.com/2011/11/l ... -mail.html

Please act, tell Ooma now, and let the word spread!