No Google Voice for original hub

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
MichaelCombs
No Google Voice for original hub

Post by MichaelCombs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:52 pm

After seeing the recent quote from Rich Buchanan ("The code base for GVE development was completed first on Telo, still looking at bringing it to the Hub, no final decision yet.") I decided to start asking Ooma support about GVE for the original hub. After several emails I finally called in and was told by a support rep (after she put me on hold and verified the info) that GVE will not be made available for the original hub. I guess all of the early adopters, especially those of us who bought hardware signed up and signed up for Premier specifically for GVE, are out of luck. I wish they would have told us we would need to spend another $250 to get GVE so I could have waited to sign up.

Bump this thread if you're a hub user who expected GVE. Maybe someone will get the point.

Aveamantium

Re: No Google Voice for original hub

Post by Aveamantium » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:54 pm

I'd wait to see what develops as I'd trust the word of Rich B, CMO, over a CSR.
Go AVS!

MichaelCombs

Post by MichaelCombs » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:06 pm

She told me that the 'before March' release would only be GVE for Telo. Then she asked me to wait a moment while she went to ask a manager. She returned and told me that GVE would not be available for the original hub. I received the same information in an email from a different CSR. If it's not true then someone up there should probably get control of the situation. I would just like someone to formally address the issue.

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:32 pm

I think all the new bells and whistles are going to the Telo. In addition to GV, I think the new iPhone app about to be released also only will work with the Telo. Same with bluetooth, only with Telo.

Maybe Ooma could release some kind of firmware flash to the Hub to bring it up to speed.

Can't we do something with that USB port in the back of the Hub?

amarryat

Post by amarryat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:37 pm

I expected it for the hub. Subscribed to Premier because I anticipated its arrival.

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Considering the news and buzz about GV and Ooma integration came out during the March/April 2009 timeframe, you would have expected it for the Hub. The Telo wasn't even in the realm of possibilities back then.

FloridaJohn

Post by FloridaJohn » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:00 pm

I can't really figure out what would be different for the Telo vs the Hub. Wouldn't all of the Google Voice interaction take place on the Ooma servers, not on the client device (Telo/Hub)? I mean, aren't the servers routing the calls to the devices in our house? What part of Google Voice would have to reside on our side? Doesn't Google Voice already work with a POTS line?

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Forcing users to adopt the 'latest model' is a business model that's been seen again and again, I do not expect anything different here. If you want the new shiny features, you gotta buy the new toy. :|
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

doug

Post by doug » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:20 am

FloridaJohn wrote:I can't really figure out what would be different for the Telo vs the Hub. Wouldn't all of the Google Voice interaction take place on the Ooma servers, not on the client device (Telo/Hub)? I mean, aren't the servers routing the calls to the devices in our house? What part of Google Voice would have to reside on our side? Doesn't Google Voice already work with a POTS line?
If I were to guess, it is because the hub uses a customized version of Asterik, while the Telo uses Freeswitch. It would not surprise me if that causes the ooma server back-end to require different interfaces. In turn, I could see that meaning GVE integration could be vastly different between hub and Telo.

But that is just a SWAG on my part -- I don't know anything about how the hub or Telo communicates with the servers.

joeed2

Post by joeed2 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:34 am

I'm sure anything is possible, given enough resources. But I bet all the R&D money is going into the new Telo product.

On the other hand, if you have to pay for Premier to get GV, then there would be money coming in from Hub owners. Otherwise, potential Hub Premier customers might start downgrading to basic free service.