No Google Voice for original hub

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Mike-o-Matic
Re: No Google Voice for original hub

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:07 pm

moofrank wrote:It seems that we should wait until they actually release the Google Voice extensions before taking action beyond grumbling and expressing displeasure.
x2, moofrank!!
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:13 pm

BlueHeeler wrote:I use GV all the time. The biggest feature I was looking for was stamping my caller ID with my GV number.
I wonder if ooma might consider a work around for those hub users who really want to display their GV number on outgoing. The could set the system to send the GV number as outgoing CID. Technically, no problem at all. But I wonder if they would be able to control it so a person could not do something illegal with it? Maybe their partnership with Google that allows them to integrate with the extensions would be enough of a check against abuse?
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Potts

Post by Potts » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:25 pm

No grumbling here. Ooma made the announcement early last year. If this is a ploy is buy the Telco units, count me out.
Setup Dec. 2009. Cable Modem, (Hub and Scout purchase Amazon.Com) Router (Linksys WRT5465S2) Ooma Premier.

BlueHeeler

Post by BlueHeeler » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm not going to squawk too loud until Ooma officially responds, as they should have a chance to make this decision right and I believe they will. They made things right with VM for non premier users and waiving annual fee for core users, so I expect they will see their mistake and do the same with GVE.

I wouldn't mind a free hardware swap, (and tie this to a year of prepaid premier service, if hub was purchased prior the latest GVE announcement and after the original GVE announcement) or even some work around that seemed seamless as long as the functionality is delivered. The problem however with only delivering some features, is that I want the CID and VM functionality, but others may have been looking for handling multiple GV numbers or other features. If only one or two features are delivered, there will be some satisfied users, but others who still feel left in the cold. The only feature announced that was specifically tied to the Telo was the SMS messaging, which made sense due to obvious hardware limitations on the hub. The other features never had this clarification and were promised on current and future systems.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:01 pm

Potts wrote:Maybe it's time to notify the attorney general in California and your state also. It appears that Ooma is luring people into buying this product under false pretenses
If by some incredible act of the attorney general they were able to force ooma to give out free Telo upgrades or maybe pay a hefty fine for making a prudent business decision all it would do is force the now viable company into financial ruin. California has a habit of doing some pretty dumb things in the guise of "consumer protection" the really hurts the consumer. I remember paying $900 for my first cell phone because California ruled it was not appropriate for the cell companies to coop the price of the phones. My friends in other states could buy the same phone for $300 but NO, Californians were being protected from dishonest cell company practices so they had to pay $600 more for that wonderful protection.

All that said, I believe ooma will make every effort to make us happy in some way. They are really a great company and I have a lot of respect for them.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Derik

Post by Derik » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:29 pm

From the blog:
Team Ooma says:
January 13, 2010 at @ 9:11 pm
These new features are available for Telo, not the Hub.
@John – the mobile calling app should be available by the end of the quarter
My hub will now be permanently on free mode until they rectify this. GVE was the only reason I was going to get Premium.

I was counting on my Google Voice number on outgoing CID, VM integration with the unit, and the ability to route a number I was going to port to Ooma back through Google Voice (so that my old landline number could be routed to my cell phone or work number as dictated by my rules).

Without that, I might as well leave it as is, and be a financial drain on Ooma (use the system without paying them a dime). Their choice.

BlueHeeler

Post by BlueHeeler » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:09 pm

As a GV user, Premier adds very little benefit. It's definitely not worth paying for Premier simply to get the community blacklist feature.

BlueHeeler

Post by BlueHeeler » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:15 pm

BlueHeeler wrote:
But Southsound, here's the rub or the bait and switch. From the blog post of March 18th:

"ooma, Inc. today announced a set of ooma Premier™ Google Voice Extensions (GVE) compatible with its current and future home phone systems planned for summer release. "

Current and future systems planned for summer release. This was to be released on both Hub and Telo and released before the Telo was released. It's a matter of a company promising features to lure customers and then deciding not to deliver.
I don't think this can be interpreted in any other way.
Digging a little deeper into the March 18 Press Release (Bold added to highlight), ooma had every intent to lead consumers to believe GVE would be a hub feature.
ooma GVE One Touch Voice Mail
ooma Premier Google Voice Extensions allows ooma users to access their Google Voice mailbox with a single touch of a button on an ooma Hub, Scout, or Telo handset. This eliminates the need to dial a Google Voice number and then password to gain access to voice mail.
Unfortunately, the ooma team's response on their latest blog indicates ooma has abandoned the hub users and will not deliver these advertised features. http://www.ooma.com/blog/2010/01/07/the ... /#comments

crpeck

Post by crpeck » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:21 am

For me - they have until the end of the year when my Premier subscription ends. Unless I see GVE, or, some really nice features added for the Hub, I'll switch back to standard & stop paying them any more money. I understand the need to keep a continued stream of money flowing into the company. I also appreciate the features that the Telo provides, and, am glad that they are investing some funds in R&D, upgrading equipment and services. Let's face it, if they just took our money, and never updated anything we would all be really upset.

I am sure that someone from Ooma reads these (don't they, er, you?). A response would be appreciated at this point, as speculation is rampant here. It would simply be the courteous thing to do, even if it's posting of "Well, we're not sure what's going to happen to Hub owners - stay tuned..."

dick

Post by dick » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:29 am

ooma should offer free upgrades or refund Premier charges. Being cheated by former vendors is what sent me to ooma and is what will send me to the next vendor.