No Google Voice for original hub

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Potts
Re: No Google Voice for original hub

Post by Potts » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:53 pm

BlueHeeler wrote:Groundhound,

I think the press release can be construed as both an announcement and advertisement.

SDGeek,

You do have a point. Unfortunately, I guess it's buyer beware.

I feel Ooma used the announcement as a source of advertisement and rode it out as an advertisement to gain members. It's not buyers beware.

SDGeek the hell with your so called T & C. Ooma should have made another press announcement shortly after, but chose to use it as an advertisement to gain revenue an new members.

Myself I feel the Ooma CEOs should think about making local phone numbers more available, instead of waiting for weeks to get one. And the email system stinks, It take weeks to get a reply. But I'm sure this is all in the T & C also.
Setup Dec. 2009. Cable Modem, (Hub and Scout purchase Amazon.Com) Router (Linksys WRT5465S2) Ooma Premier.

crpeck

Post by crpeck » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:27 pm

I have some updated info from Ooma support a little while ago, she said:
I double checked with my manager and it looks like I was misinformed
Its not that the Hub cannot support the GVE, but at this time it has not been decided if GVE will be released for the hub.
I apologize for you dissatisfaction, but at this time we do not have any guaranteed specific about GVE.
I've received other info to the contrary from someone else that doesn't work for Ooma (I'm awaiting his approval to post his email to me).

So, GVE may or may not be dead for the Hub. If this is truly the case, a little pressure may go a long way :)

BlueHeeler

Post by BlueHeeler » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:44 pm

crpeck wrote: So, GVE may or may not be dead for the Hub. If this is truly the case, a little pressure may go a long way :)
A little pressure may have already gone a long way. :)

Ooma has made things right in the past; let's hope they do the right thing again.

Potts

Post by Potts » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:45 pm

Oh Boy.
crpeck wrote:I have some updated info from Ooma support a little while ago, she said:
I double checked with my manager and it looks like I was misinformed
Its not that the Hub cannot support the GVE, but at this time it has not been decided if GVE will be released for the hub.
I apologize for you dissatisfaction, but at this time we do not have any guaranteed specific about GVE.
I've received other info to the contrary from someone else that doesn't work for Ooma (I'm awaiting his approval to post his email to me).

So, GVE may or may not be dead for the Hub. If this is truly the case, a little pressure may go a long way :)
Reads like something that will keep the the natives at peace. Thanks for the update "crpeck". I'm sure no CEO can back it.
Setup Dec. 2009. Cable Modem, (Hub and Scout purchase Amazon.Com) Router (Linksys WRT5465S2) Ooma Premier.

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:14 pm

crpeck wrote:... a little pressure may go a long way :)
True! And with regard to the subject GVE support on the Hub, I don't even hear the proverbial fat lady warming up yet.
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

Soundjudgment

Post by Soundjudgment » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:52 am

<< And with regard to the subject GVE support on the Hub, I don't even hear the proverbial fat lady warming up yet.

Especially when they say, "The now-ancient Ooma Hub-box is 'too slooooow' to support wiz-bang features such as GVE." Since all the data-signal switching and alerting of the box on a phone-number using GVE takes place on back-end routes and server farms, you could have a tin-can on a wax-string tied to Ooma and still have GVE working. It's a red-herring, designed to buy time and keep the customer quiet (and make them do some hardware upgrading).
ooma customer since December 2008
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Premier, Lifetime Member
<< The following line intentionally left blank >>

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:01 am

Obviously I don't have privileged access or inside knowledge of their architecture, but that's what I was thinking also, Soundjudgment. It's all very likely to be back-end work. Has nothing to do with our CPE.
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

moofrank

Post by moofrank » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:49 am

Agreed that the "too slow" response sounds like a smokescreen.

...It also says bad things about Ooma's business model. We all hopped on because Ooma is such a great deal long term and has reasonably nice hardware. (I bought mine a couple of days before the Telo was announced.)

But it seems as if the Ooma model may rely more on releasing new hardware every year or so. The next step might be to drop support for the Hub completely.

I think that the last Hub update was on 6/6. I bet they just aren't developing for the Hub anymore. But they aren't marking it end of life.

Within the first few months of using it, I was a rabid Ooma supporter, and convinced a couple of other people to buy. Now...I can no longer immediately recommend their product.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:59 am

moofrank wrote:Agreed that the "too slow" response sounds like a smokescreen.
Please help me out. I can't find this response from Ooma, can you provide a link?

moofrank

Post by moofrank » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:48 am

This thread, top of page 4.
Could be she was including GVE with the HD Voice support as they were all announced together. I hope we've all worked out that we'll definitely never see HD Voice support on the Hub. That probably just isn't possible owing to hardware limitations.

[quote=]Hello,

Any new extensions or new features will be supported by the Telo, not the hub.
The is because the Telo has a faster processor which will allow these expansions, the hubs processor would not support these.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact our sales line at 1-866-452-6662

Gina
Ooma Sales Support[/quote]