Call waiting ID

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
von
Call waiting ID

Post by von » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:50 am

Call waiting ID should be a feature added to Ooma.

All of the other VOIP services that I have had in the past carry this feature and it would be great if Ooma had this as well.

I recently called Ooma support to find out if this is one of the features and was surprised to find out that it is not being that it is a common feature with practically every other carrier.

What is call waiting id?

When you’re already on the phone, Call Waiting ID lets you know the name and number of a second “call waiting” caller before you answer. With Call Waiting ID, when you hear the Call Waiting tone, the display shows the name and number of the person calling so you can take the call if you know it’s important

BigTV

Re: Call waiting ID

Post by BigTV » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:50 pm

Hello

Call waiting ID is part of Call waiting, if you have a land line then your LEC will provide any call waiting, if you don't have a land line then ooma will provide your caller ID in most Cases.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi Von, there may have been a misunderstanding - call-waiting ID is supported with the ooma Hub. Are you currently having problems making this work with your phone handsets?

I just gave this a try a few minutes ago. When I'm on a call (Line 1 is solid), a 2nd call comes in, and line 2 flashes. When I look on my cordless handset (I was using a Panasonic-branded one), I see the caller-ID name and number and the text "---Waiting---"

-Bobby
Bobby B

von

Post by von » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:05 pm

Yes I guess I am having a problem with Call Waiting ID, it worked fine with every other voip carrier I have had on both my Bang & Olufsen BeoCom 1 & BeoCom 2 handsets, now on Ooma all I get is the call waiting tone and nothing on the Caller ID display.
Also calling support was no help. The support rep first didn't even know what Call Waiting ID was, and when I explained it to him he said "oh, no we don't show caller id on the second call" I think some of the reps need to know what they are supporting.

So who do I need to call to troubleshoot this?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:42 am

Hi von, I'll have someone on our support team give you a call. I'll reference this post so everyone is on the same page about this function.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby B

kinorob

Post by kinorob » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:08 am

I have the same problem. I can be on line 1 and I receive a second call. It comes in on the instant second line. I hear the call waiting beep on my first line, but I do not receive any information on the caller ID screen. Usually I am connected to a scout when I have noticed this problem.

This is a feature I sorely miss from my previous VoIP carrier. I would like to know who is calling before I switch from one line to the other.

With my old provider, any time the call waiting tone sounded, I could look at the phone and see the caller ID of the new person calling in.

I would love to have this feature work. I've tried it with VTech phones and Panasonic phones.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:41 am

call waiting ID works fine for me... (non landline..only Ooma service)

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Kinorob, does normal caller-ID work on the phone connected to your Scout? It would be interesting to know if the problem is isolated to call-waiting caller-id, or applies to caller-id in general. Also, what kind of phone do you have?