Going without Premier Service

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
9204wilson
Going without Premier Service

Post by 9204wilson » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:44 pm

My 60 day period of free Premier Service is nearly up. I have a Telo unit. I would like to hear from people about how they like the Ooma basic service without the Premier Service. Are there any voice mail features that will drop off that users feel are important to keep? Are there any overall Premier Service features that people feel they still would like to have? I am just trying to figure out exactly what I will be missing if I go without the Premier Service. For example, I think (but I am totally sure) that I will lose the voice mail feature where notifications are emailed to me but it is also my understanding that I can have them texted to my cell phone.

Thanks,

Rob

caseybea

Re: Going without Premier Service

Post by caseybea » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:40 pm

This totally varied by user.

With basic service, you'll be able to be "notified" about voicemail, but you will NOT be able to include the attachment, which some find a really cool feature...
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

amoney

Post by amoney » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:09 pm

Although customer support via phone is not stellar, I chose premier just for that reason as obviously email support is a black hole. You can purchase phone support seperately I forget if its 30 or 60 bucks for the year.

The other thing that may be of interest is caller ID with name. Basic is only number, so yes you can see who, but if its a unknown number, you might as well have no caller ID.

I also got a free PORT with my premier purchase so as you can see it all added up favorably for me.

10 bucks a month for premier, no sweat.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:45 pm

If you went out and purchased a new CORE unit (like I did), instead of the telo, Caller-id with NAME is *free*. No premiere required.

:cool:

amoney

Post by amoney » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:37 am

caseybea wrote:If you went out and purchased a new CORE unit (like I did), instead of the telo, Caller-id with NAME is *free*. No premiere required.

:cool:
Yeah, but look at all the cool Telo features, that, uhm, well, come to find out dont work.

The ability to call customer was the leading factor. I was on the fence, Amazon was even selling the Core for $210 at the time. Mind you if I would have known Ooma was dragging there feet with the Telo, I would have bought the Core back in 12/2008 and then later get a Telo, I would still be saving money on investment and Ooma would have made more money.

Like I said no sweat.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:20 am

Yeah, I did a LOT of reading and comparing before I picked up my unit. Offhand, seems that most of the problems are telo related...... I'll stick with my core for quite a bit and maybe revisit a newer unit in a year or two..

UrbanVoyeur

Post by UrbanVoyeur » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:21 pm

I don't miss the premier features. The Telo works fine and i can access my voice-mail from the Web. That's all I need.

That and an Ooma iPhone app.
Telo since November '09

noltian

Post by noltian » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:34 pm

I've been using basic service ever since I purchase a core.
I didn't bother to try premier trial for 6 months. I didn't think it worty a try and I still dont' think so.

To me, premier is waste of money. It does not provide any service I would like to pay to get.

10 bucks a month is small amount of money but i chose OOMA becasee of free service. If I needed bell and whistle, I probably stayed with other VoIP, vonage. Customer service is terrible regardless of online or call. (I got a respone from custeomer service a month after I called. They simply e-mailed and asked what they can do for me to resolve the issue, I replied it was a month ago I called and complained. I never heard from them again for the issue. Call center service is still free to me anyway). International cal rate is one of the worst among VOIP and I don't need second line.

Hopefully, OOMA provides better premier service I would want to get. but for now, basic is enought for me.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:56 pm

noltian wrote:I've been using basic service ever since I purchase a core.
I didn't bother to try premier trial for 6 months. I didn't think it worty a try and I still dont' think so.

To me, premier is waste of money. It does not provide any service I would like to pay to get.

Hopefully, OOMA provides better premier service I would want to get. but for now, basic is enought for me.
This is exactly why Premier is OPTIONAL. So users can make an informed personal choice. I have just basic service on my hub/scout and think it rocks! I have Premier on my Telo because I wanted some of the extra features for that device.

Choices are great. When I bought my Honda Civic Hybrid, there was only one option - a navigation system for $1400. Many customers love it and find it to be worth the extra investement. I mainly drive within a 50 mile radius to places I know. Unless my memory begins to fail, I don't think I need an electronic map to remember how to get to Walmart or back home. But again, there are those who find this feature a bargain. That's why I'm glad that it, like ooma's Premier, was an option and the basic product works well without it.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:16 pm

I like having the instant second line as well as a second number for my business. My favorite premier feature is the blacklist. IMHO, that in itself is worth the price of premier.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber