Does ooma provide PC software to make calls from PC

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
wym
Does ooma provide PC software to make calls from PC

Post by wym » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:53 am

I wondering if ooma have or will provide some PC based software (something like Skype)? It would be much more convienient to travel with just a laptop rather than bringing both my laptop and ooma telo and a phone. And there are situations where i can only access the internet over WiFi network, in these places, ooma telo or hub will be useless at all.

ggilman

Re: Does ooma provide PC software to make calls from PC

Post by ggilman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:35 am

No. There have been many requests for a softphone but no announcements of one coming.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:58 am

There was this statement last year, but I guess it went to the way-back burner or they trashed it: http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=8045#p8045
Edit: In re-reading that post I think Bobby B may have been referring to the Iphone app that's about to be released.

sfhub

Post by sfhub » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:36 pm

I thought the iPhone app was mostly a standard SIP client and in the process of implementing it, they essentially implemented BYOD as well and it would be a matter of testing and marketing to make their back-end fully BYOD.

Anyway, it sounds like the iPhone client will be a $9.99 download and SIP calls will be $0.019/min with Premiere members getting 250 minutes free per month before $0.019 applies. It also sounds like it is implemented completely on the back-end so theoretically Telo and Hub users should be able to take advantage of the feature, but that is just my speculation.

Shutterstuff

Post by Shutterstuff » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:42 pm

And since I refuse to buy an iPhone, this is useless to me...
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:18 pm

Shutterstuff wrote:And since I refuse to buy an iPhone, this is useless to me...
Where else can a molded chunk of plastic be considered a fashion accessory? I was turned off by the iPhone by the time it came out because the ads annoyed me and because the camera is mediocre as well as the closed, locked down nature of it as a whole. I use a Nokia N95-3 and see an N900 in my future. My only gripe is that it is still LCD not Oled on the display. I'm not sure if touchscreen Oled exists yet. Any screen that needs a backlight leaves me wanting as this makes it necessary to have the display backlight sleep a lot.

karalabe

Post by karalabe » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm not sure if touchscreen Oleds exist
Yes, check out Zune HD

amoney

Post by amoney » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:37 am

Davesworld wrote:
Shutterstuff wrote:And since I refuse to buy an iPhone, this is useless to me...
Where else can a molded chunk of plastic be considered a fashion accessory? I was turned off by the iPhone by the time it came out because the ads annoyed me and because the camera is mediocre as well as the closed, locked down nature of it as a whole. I use a Nokia N95-3 and see an N900 in my future. My only gripe is that it is still LCD not Oled on the display. I'm not sure if touchscreen Oled exists yet. Any screen that needs a backlight leaves me wanting as this makes it necessary to have the display backlight sleep a lot.
I cant use a screen either unless it is bright, although I too am against apples over priced products (althugh I bought my 3G for $99), their quality is much higher than say Sony, etc. Additionally the form and feel of the iPhone is slick and although recently the Droid and Google's very own Nexus competition, I still think the iPhone was very well designed with its form and function. Hats off to apple. But to each their own.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

Post by 3368737736 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:20 am

Yes if you download bluestacks4.
You can download the Ooma app form the google play store it works great!!

karalabe

Post by karalabe » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:42 am

Almost 10 years later?