Blacklisting

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
dandan
Blacklisting

Post by dandan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:47 am

I've reached 128, the maximum number of blacklist numbers OOMA allows. I've also signed up for the community blacklisted numbers. Could you either publish the community list of blacklisted numbers so that I may remove those numbers from my personal list or increase the number of blacklist numbers each person can have. Nearly all the numbers I've requested on my personal are known telemarketers. I enter them on my personal list after receiving a call from that number and confirming that the caller is an unwanted telemarketer. Thanks

murphy

Re: Blacklisting

Post by murphy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:18 am

dandan wrote:I've reached 128, the maximum number of blacklist numbers OOMA allows. I've also signed up for the community blacklisted numbers. Could you either publish the community list of blacklisted numbers so that I may remove those numbers from my personal list or increase the number of blacklist numbers each person can have. Nearly all the numbers I've requested on my personal are known telemarketers. I enter them on my personal list after receiving a call from that number and confirming that the caller is an unwanted telemarketer. Thanks
The community blacklist is a dynamic aggregation of numbers that appear on multiple personal blacklists. How many personal blacklists a number has to appear on before it becomes a community number is not publicly known. If people started removing them from their personal blacklist they would eventually be removed from the community blacklist. No one sat down and created a community black list. It has been reported that the personal blacklist size will be increased but it is unknown when that will happen.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

dandan

Post by dandan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:54 pm

If OOMA's intent is to have a comprehensive community blacklist, based on users blacklist, then OOMA should not have advised me to delete numbers on my list to add others. It seems unreasonable to severely limit the number of blacklisted numbers an individual may have, when OOMA uses this info to develop the community blacklist. For all I know all the numbers I've listed appear on the community list as well. At present I am unable to add any new numbers to my blacklist. This impacts me and also reduces OOMA's ability to add to the community blacklist.

RonInSC

Post by RonInSC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:31 pm

First, let me say I love my ooma service! BUT, I just ran into the 128 personal blacklist limit, and I am disappointed. This feature is one of the main reasons I switched to ooma. I have one charity (American Institute for Cancer Research) that I have donated to several times in the past that is now constantly calling me and using a different phone number each time. They call at all hours of the day too. I just found out on the whocalled.us website that this particular charity has 39 phone numbers- that is almost 1/3 of the blacklist limit. I am tired of being disturbed while sleeping, eating, or whatever else I happen to be doing at the time of the call, so I want to put all 39 entries in my list.

Please increase this limit!! I had to delete other entries that have bothered me in the past to put all 39 of these numbers in. I don't believe it would take too many resources to have this number doubled, but I feel it should be at least 512 to make it useful over time. How am I too know when a telemarketer has decided to stop calling me? If I leave that number on my list, I have no worries from it. But, if I have to remove it to make room for some other number that is bothering me, then I have removed that protection for that number. Thank you for listening and hopefully I can thank you for increasing the limit!