audible beep with new messages on Telo

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
dbjeng
audible beep with new messages on Telo

Post by dbjeng » Wed May 19, 2010 6:17 am

The Telo unit needs to have an audible beep with new messages to get your attention when you walk into the house - just like any other answering machine. Of course, it needs to be able to be turned on or off as each user wishes. This is a basic function of any answering machine.

murphy

Re: audible beep with new messages on Telo

Post by murphy » Wed May 19, 2010 7:43 am

dbjeng wrote:The Telo unit needs to have an audible beep with new messages to get your attention when you walk into the house - just like any other answering machine. Of course, it needs to be able to be turned on or off as each user wishes. This is a basic function of any answering machine.
I've owned at least 5 different answering machines and none of them beeped. They all had a blinking light.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed May 19, 2010 8:55 am

My current answering machine doesn't seem to have that feature either.

Edited to remove picture of classic Bell System answering machine that somehow offended the OP. I guess he just wasn't in the mood for levity. I think I'll go back to my den for a while.
Last edited by southsound on Wed May 19, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Wed May 19, 2010 9:14 am

dbjeng wrote:The Telo unit needs to have an audible beep with new messages to get your attention when you walk into the house - just like any other answering machine. Of course, it needs to be able to be turned on or off as each user wishes. This is a basic function of any answering machine.
I had a Panasonic one with 2 micro cassettes that had that feature. I liked that feature too but hadn't seen it on any other machines since that one.

dbjeng

Post by dbjeng » Wed May 19, 2010 11:08 am

Come on guys - particularly with the old tape unit picture. I've had several, including the current 2 line AT&T phone and answering machine combo, with many setup options, including beeping or as they call it, "alert" on new messages. I've never seen a machine w/o audible alert. Go to any electronics or office supply store, look at the phone/answering machine combo units - there it is! I would not know about answering machine only - I don't think I've seen one w/o a phone in many years.

Are you shills for a service and a machine with a deficiency?

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Wed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm

dbjeng wrote:Come on guys - particularly with the old tape unit picture. I've had several, including the current 2 line AT&T phone and answering machine combo, with many setup options, including beeping or as they call it, "alert" on new messages. I've never seen a machine w/o audible alert. Go to any electronics or office supply store, look at the phone/answering machine combo units - there it is! I would not know about answering machine only - I don't think I've seen one w/o a phone in many years.

Are you shills for a service and a machine with a deficiency?
The Telo is nothing more than an ATA with the ability to dial out to voicemail on it's own using half a speakerphone, not an answering machine. I always thought that having answering machine like buttons on it would attract customers used to answering machines but you just introduced an unintended impression of such ATA packaging/marketing. Remember, it is NOT an answering machine! Ooma uses voicemail.

I can only speak for myself but I really prefer using my own ATA equipment but the buttons on both Ooma's ATAs are merely a convenience that is attractive to a large demographic. People being cellphone users should be very used to the concept of voicemail. I prefer emailed attachments above all other methods of playback. The one thing I do miss about 8x8 (Packet 8) is that the email with attachment also has two urls, one is to delete the voice mail from the server, the other to link directly to the wav file. That's really all I miss from them.

dbjeng

Post by dbjeng » Wed May 19, 2010 12:48 pm

I hear you. However, if they can make a light turn red when there are messages and produce sound, THEN THEY ARE ONLY A STEP AWAY FROM AN AUDIBLE BEEP OPTION! A little code writing and voila! Surely you would agree that it would be a convenience for many people to walk into the house, hear the beep and say to yourself, "I guess I better go check the Telo for messages." Otherwise, assuming you are not going to go buy a new phone just to get a "message light" indicator on it, you have to go look at it to see if any messages were left, as there is no "duh, duh, duh" stutter tone when you pick up the phone like AT&T does when you have a voicemail waiting on their system. Even with the AT&T, if you just come in and start doing other things, you WILL NOT KNOW ANYONE LEFT YOU A MESSAGE UNLESS YOU a) look at the Telo or b) pick up the phone just to check for messages or c) pick up the phone to make a call and decide to check.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed May 19, 2010 12:50 pm

dbjeng wrote:Are you shills for a service and a machine with a deficiency?
Wow. Having a bad day? :shock:

Believe it or not, this audible msg alert isn't all that popular. Therefore, not a dificiency but merely a nice to have. Maybe Vtech devices have this as a popular feauture but even for those, the audible alert doesn't work on service provider voicemails.

I think these are the choices AT&T devices with that feature (not very appealing):

http://telephones.att.com/telephones_ui ... rent=22222

Bottom line, doubt this feature is going to make it above the line for ooma's future considerations but you'll never know.

rschoonh

Post by rschoonh » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:21 pm

Well, I for one agree with dbjeng, and would like to see an option added to the Telo for an audible alert. He is correct that it would probably involve very little coding, as long as there is a soundmaking device already within the Telo base (if not, then we're SOL on this). We understand that this is server-based voice-mail, but still there seems to be no good reason to omit the option for those who might want the audible alert.
Ooma Telo with one handset on AT&T U-verse 6Mb DSL

rlanza1054

Post by rlanza1054 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:23 am

I also like a audible beep with new messages are waiting. I used to have an answering machine like that (my mother has it now, Panasonic).

Have a software switch so those that don't want the beep can be able to turn it off or on. They can set their preference.

Rob