How to take apart Telo

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
southsound
Re: How to take apart Telo

Post by southsound » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:20 pm

MPDano wrote:
Sundbergtoday wrote:Mine telo broke loose, but motherboard pieces perfectly intact. Just need help knowing where the loose cable as seen in the picture should go. On one end it is snuggly fit into the motherboard and the other end is designed, perhaps, to be loose and have no corresponding part to which it attaches
Good pic of the speaker. I may try to find a replacement since Ooma doesn't stand by their devices.
Since your unit has had a bad speaker since January 2, 2014 (based on your original post) I guess we won't hear how your repair worked until 2021 - If people are still using VOIP then.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

jborge

Post by jborge » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59 pm

My Speaker on my Ooma is not that great either. Crackles.
So I use the answering machine on my phone instead.

rick27607

Post by rick27607 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:44 am

HI and I know this is an old thread but for personal documentation purposes (aka future reference as I have 2 telos in service) and in case it helps anyone else who is handy and has an out of warranty OOMA Telo.

I too had been experiencing low speaker volume on my OOMA Telo and, while I could hear the volume cycle from 1 to 4, even at 4 the sound was way too low and crackly (as some have also reported).

I GREATLY appreciate a previous post which gave me a clue as to what the speaker looked like and also inside of the case as it helped me slide a thin slotted plastic screwdriver in the middle of the upper side edge of the case and once there was enough separation, the case popped open.

My plan was to seek out a replacement speaker which connects to the circuit board but as it turns out, when I carefully popped up the lower board, I found that the speaker had dislodged from the side of the case and was laying below the board on the inside of the plastic case essentially muffling the little speaker from doing its job.

So, easy fix! I carefully placed the speaker back in the side of the case and added some tape to hopefully keep it there for good.

ref: This was the writing on the back of the ooma telo speaker YC YD-2014E-16 11082 (I tried uploading the pic but it kept failing)

TheOldGrouch

Post by TheOldGrouch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Just remember, don't force it, get a bigger hammer. Works wonders on todays cantankerous electronics. I also have issues with poor sound quality on the new telo 2 that I recently purchased . Speaker isn't loose so it's not that. I believe it just extremely poor quality components that are the culprit. I have the same issue with the handsets, which, even with my hearing aids, sound way too muffled, causing me to constantly ask people on the other end to repeat themselves. I was able to rectify that issue by adding a set of Panasonic phones which have far superior sound quality that can actually be adjusted. Too bad ooma doesn't have sense enough to include an external speaker jack on the telo, but I guess that would be asking too much. :idea: Once the unit is out of warranty, I'll crack it open and install one myself.
I don't mind getting old, but my body is taking it badly

Mag.yul

Post by Mag.yul » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:06 am

My Speaker has no more signs of life either(pretty sad)...no one at tech support can help since it’s off warranty period..they say I need to buy a new Telo!! Which sucks for me cause I don’t like to throw away things that are fixable. So I will attempt to fix this thing, however I am convinced it’s a software issue from some sort of firmware pushed out by ooma..

GregM

Post by GregM » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:05 am

I successfully replaced my Ooma Telo (Revision B) speaker with one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-20x14mm-Ova ... 1294045492

It's a 20x14mm oval speaker and fit and works perfectly. The factory speaker had degraded to the point that it sounded like on of the teachers in a Charlie Brown TV special. Now I can hear my voicemail again!