Ooma introduces new International Bundles

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lbmofo
Re: Ooma introduces new International Bundles

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:43 am

anonymouse wrote:
lbmofo wrote:I checked Pingo's rates just now. For the destination I call often, they are more expensive than ooma's regular rate (Taiwan). Also they have a $1 per month maintenance charge.
I don't recall paying any maintenance charges with Pingo.
Maybe you've never noticed it. I got it from their FAQ

From Pingo's Billing & Surcharges FAQ
Where's the small print? Are there any connection or disconnection fees with Pingo?

We don't hide behind any small print. As explained on the Pingo web site, the only fees other than the per-minute charges are a 98 cents USD per month account maintenance fee, and a mandated payphone surcharge of 65 cents USD for calls made from payphones and certain other public phones in the US, and up to 99 cents USD in other countries. Some calls placed from mobile phones outside the United States may incur an additional per-minute fee, which will be disclosed on the RateFinder.

Rima

Post by Rima » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:21 pm

Bobby B wrote:Yep seems like a mistake - we're working on correcting the table.
Do you have any plan to increase the number of countries in International bundle? I am a Ooma Telo user and my desired destination country (Iran) is not in the list. I definitely will subscribe to International bundle if Iran be included.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:40 pm

For the time being, I think Google Voice rates for Iran is pretty good with the least hassle. 10 and 12 cents/min

https://www.google.com/voice/rates#I

shellz

Post by shellz » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:09 pm

Ooma should provide bulk rate to all Ooma subscribers!! This way Ooma gets more people to make international calls and more revenue comes in. I don't call any of the countries listed in the 70 countries for 1000 minutes, as such this defeats the purpose of subscribing to the 1000 minutes plan. So I use calling cards or my cell phones. By providing bulk rates to all Ooma subscribers, not only additional revenue comes in, as Ooma gets the business, but also attract additional subscribers. It's a win win situation for all.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:07 pm

The pricing of these things all depends on how ooma wants to balance profitability and International bundle appeal.

If everyone got bundle rate, then the bundle package and premier revenue would suffer. On the flip side, if standard rates were too high, then the general prepaid revenue would suffer. The balancing task is tough and I am sure ooma is reviewing this constantly.

For you though, you'd have to balance between cost and convenience. People like the idea of dialing internationally direct without jumping hoops but the cost of convenience must not be too steep.

Ooma's standard rate to Pakistan is 25 to 26 cent/min but if you were to subscribe to the basic bulk rate bundle, you'd get 7 cents/min. So you'd have to check it out and see what would fit your calling needs the best. If you consistently call Pakistan more than 60 min per month (but less than 1000), it might be worth while for you to go for the Basic Bulk Rate for $9.99/month.

I think ooma's rates for Pakistan is very competitive considering the convenience factor and ooma's base recurring cost (nothing to almost nothing).

Vonage World which will cost you $33+ per month charges 9 to 11 cents/min to Pakistan. If you have other plans, it will cost you 25 to 27 cents/min; pretty much the same as ooma's standard rate.

Comcast which also costs you $30+ per month charges 39 cents/min

Other less convenient options:

Mobivox charges 11.9 cents/min
Pingo charges 9.5 cents/min
Google Voice charges 10 to 12 cents/min

Then you got calling cards with all kinds of price range.

shellz

Post by shellz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:33 am

I don't like mandatory requirements of calling an XYZ country for at least 60 minutes a month in order to benefit from bulk minutes discount. This way I am bound and I am paying $120 annually over and above the cost of actual calls, merely to avail the bulk minute discount. I don't think so!! I still think the best bet is offering bulk minute discount to all subscribers. (I am a premier subscriber).

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:54 am

shellz wrote:I don't like mandatory requirements of calling an XYZ country for at least 60 minutes a month in order to benefit from bulk minutes discount. This way I am bound and I am paying $120 annually over and above the cost of actual calls, merely to avail the bulk minute discount. I don't think so!! I still think the best bet is offering bulk minute discount to all subscribers. (I am a premier subscriber).
You don't have to sign up to any International Bundles if it won't benefit you.
By "best bet" you mean it would be nice to have as ooma users right? That depends on whether it makes business sense to ooma or not.
IMO, if nothing else, the 500 min plan for Premier having bulk rate added should be a consideration.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:30 pm

rbtripathi wrote:I'm Ooma premier lifetime member. Talked to Ooma support and was told that after I use all 1000 minutes, the regular rates apply, which are too high. I was hoping for bulk rate for premier members after you use all of your monthly minutes.
So for the 1000 min Premier plan, bulk rates only apply for the 1000 min?
The Basic Bulk Rate plan doesn't have minutes spelled out, does that mean all minutes are at bulk rate?
Can somone from ooma confirm this?

noltian

Post by noltian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:39 am

lbmofo wrote:
rbtripathi wrote:I'm Ooma premier lifetime member. Talked to Ooma support and was told that after I use all 1000 minutes, the regular rates apply, which are too high. I was hoping for bulk rate for premier members after you use all of your monthly minutes.
So for the 1000 min Premier plan, bulk rates only apply for the 1000 min?
The Basic Bulk Rate plan doesn't have minutes spelled out, does that mean all minutes are at bulk rate?
Can somone from ooma confirm this?
I got the e-mail from customer service when I asked how I know the remaining mintues.

It says.I need to compute manually with calculators....I originally e-mailed the customer service becuase the they are still charging my prepaid account for the call eligible for international bundles which I have purchased. Their accounting is not accurate far as far as I can see.(mistakes are here and there, web site is buggy without essential infmriaton for customers). Thus their calculatin of minutes will not be accurate. Oh..they also said internation bundle starts every 1st day of the month no matter when you pays. So if you purchased on 30th of the month, you pay $.9.99 for the day or two. ( I hope that's not the reason the web site shows no information of bundle plan purchased at all. you can't even cancel)

I believe people need to stay away from this international bundle plan until they fixs bugs. There is no way to know if they calculate the mintus correctly unless you add them up manually with pencil and calculators.( Who would want to do so???... I make a lot of international calls) that's very lousy service I have never seen in any service industry.. This is still a good plan to purchase but until they sort out mistakes here and there...I would't recommend..

Probashi

Post by Probashi » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:48 am

Every time you make an international call the automated system will let you know how many minutes you have left, you don’t need to keep track. Also I believe they will pro-rate the monthly fee in the following month if you subscribe in the middle of the month (not sure yet since this is my first month). The only problem I am having now is the international call quality is the not the best but for the price I can’t complain.