Ooma hub dead after 15 months! Ooma wants $200 to replace!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
FreePhone
Re: Ooma hub dead after 15 months! Ooma wants $200 to replace!

Post by FreePhone » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:54 pm

lbmofo wrote:More expensive alternative to traditional telephone? Let's take the Telo users for example, what phone company bill is ~$3.50 a month?
I said that when you figure in the price of the ooma box and a portion of your Internet bill each month, which is required for Ooma to work. That total would add up to be close to what many people pay for regular phone service every month.

lbmofo wrote:Vonage is still a lot cheaper than traditional telephone; I hear that a lot of folks get Vonage World where they can call 60 countries for free for ~$33 a month. Can't do that with traditional telephone.
I paid $25 a month for regular telephone service. Vonage was more expensive for me. I don't call out of the country or have fancy features.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:01 pm

Hence I don't even bring up ooma to friends/family unless they have high speed internet already.

But less than $3.50 a month is a steal for all the basic features you get with ooma. With most people, the hardware cost break even point is months, not years.

FreePhone

Post by FreePhone » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:21 pm

lbmofo wrote:But less than $3.50 a month is a steal for all the basic features you get with ooma. With most people, the hardware cost break even point is months, not years.
And I'm not saying it isn't. But clearly Ooma is not free telephone service anymore, as they claim.

jakeman02

Post by jakeman02 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:38 pm

FreePhone wrote:
lbmofo wrote:But less than $3.50 a month is a steal for all the basic features you get with ooma. With most people, the hardware cost break even point is months, not years.
And I'm not saying it isn't. But clearly Ooma is not free telephone service anymore, as they claim.
Yes it is "free telephone service", you keep referring to the $3.50 charge as service, which it's not. It's monthly taxes and fees and it is stated on the boxes of the units it applies to and documented in the information on the product page, it's not hidden.

It's no more or less free telephone service than if Vonage or AT&T decided to give free service and charge only the monthly taxes and fees and if you've ever been a customer of one of those companies you'd know you'll be paying more than $3.50 a month for your free service with them.

If you want to argue the fees you're directing it in the wrong place, talk to your government.

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:06 am

We are splitting hairs here... They advertise and market free phone service... And they asterisk and footnote the taxes and surcharges... And, yes, there is a limit that defines "unlimited" in the terms and conditions...

But on the whole, the marketing is pretty accurate... It's free phone service...and arguably unlimited as well for most people... Almost every company needs to put some upper limit on an unlimited service to detect abuse... And they have...

Remember...the claim is a marketing claim...not a legal binding contractual claim with all the legaleze... We've all picked up a coupon that says "20% off ANY ITEM" with an asterisk that explains how certain items are excluded... We've all passed by auto dealerships with the claim of something free (with test drive).

I don't find this abnormal or misleading at all... YMMV...

And no, I am not an Ooma fan boy that will defend Ooma at all costs... What I am is a satisfied customer that does not feel like the company is pulling the wool over anyone's eyes...
Customer Since: August 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Telo (Original Legacy Hub/Scout Customer)
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since October 2009)

seematt

Post by seematt » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:33 am

15 Months that's nothing. my Oooma died after 15 minutes. Spent 2 hours with tech support, they said I should try a different environment (was using it at the office), I brought it home, but it's still dead...the red flashing thing ya know...so it's going back to Amazon for areplacement and my fingers are crossed because I would really like a VOIP solution without a computer being turned on...

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:06 am

seematt wrote:15 Months that's nothing. my Oooma died after 15 minutes. Spent 2 hours with tech support, they said I should try a different environment (was using it at the office), I brought it home, but it's still dead...the red flashing thing ya know...so it's going back to Amazon for areplacement and my fingers are crossed because I would really like a VOIP solution without a computer being turned on...
Have faith... Mine has been going for about a year now, with no signs of problems... I have not reached the magic 15 month mark yet though... (crossing my fingers)...

While I would be upset if it died in 15 months (or now for that matter)...truth of the matter is that it was still a good return on investment for me... I was paying my phone company gobs of money, and my break even point was July (including the price of lifetime premier)... So from here on out, it's all bonus...

But like I said...I would still be upset if it went dead...even though mentally I know I am ahead...
Customer Since: August 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Telo (Original Legacy Hub/Scout Customer)
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since October 2009)

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:39 am

TMRT wrote:So...my hub is not functional any longer and 60 minutes of troubleshooting with tech support brought the ooma rep to the same conclusion. Since the warranty is only 12 months, and since mine is 15 months old, ooma wants me to pay their "reduced" rate of $199 for a replacement hub. If this is any indication as to the life expectancy of the hub, then I might as well just pay vonage, right? I am considering dropping ooma.

TMRT
Just thought of something... did you keep the protective film/plastic on the Hub? I found that some people like to leave these things on electronic devices thinking that it would protect but in the case of the Hub, I think the film would make the unit run hotter and therefore resulting in shorter life.

rakha1

Post by rakha1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:26 am

Same experience.my ooma hub too died after 15 months of service. :( Ooma tells me my warranty expired in July.
Not happy. Considering switching to Vonage as well.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:39 am

rakha1 wrote:Same experience.my ooma hub too died after 15 months of service. :( Ooma tells me my warranty expired in July.
Not happy. Considering switching to Vonage as well.
Paying Vonage for 15 months at $33.52 = $502.80.