Ooma hub dead after 15 months! Ooma wants $200 to replace!

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
rakha1
Re: Ooma hub dead after 15 months! Ooma wants $200 to replace!

Post by rakha1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:54 am

I make international calls worth ,at least, $25 month. Vonage is offering unlimited international calls included in a monthly charge. if you do the math then it's a wash.
for the record - i am not here to promote vonage or any other phone service for that matter. The fact is my Ooma hub is dead and if there is no cheap option to stay with Ooma then I have to consider other options that are more cost effective.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:28 pm

rakha1 wrote:I make international calls worth ,at least, $25 month. Vonage is offering unlimited international calls included in a monthly charge. if you do the math then it's a wash.
No, it is not a wash. Ooma offers 1000 minutes to 70 countries for $9.99 a month ($11.79 with FUSF tax) for basic/core users now.

https://www.ooma.com/products/international-rates

Vonage plan only includes comparable "60 countries." The "unlimited" nature won't benefit most home phone users calling internationally. 33 minutes a day is a lot of international calling for most people.

rakha1

Post by rakha1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:05 pm

You are are right it won't be a wash. ooma would be more expensive when 11.79 monthly charges are taken into account.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:17 pm

1000 min basic international bundle is $141.48 per year
Vonage world is $502.80 per year
You have $361.32 to buy a new ooma device every year.

If you still think ooma is more expensive, switch. No one is stopping you.

allo

Post by allo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm

lbmofo wrote:
TMRT wrote:So...my hub is not functional any longer and 60 minutes of troubleshooting with tech support brought the ooma rep to the same conclusion. Since the warranty is only 12 months, and since mine is 15 months old, ooma wants me to pay their "reduced" rate of $199 for a replacement hub. If this is any indication as to the life expectancy of the hub, then I might as well just pay vonage, right? I am considering dropping ooma.

TMRT
Just thought of something... did you keep the protective film/plastic on the Hub? I found that some people like to leave these things on electronic devices thinking that it would protect but in the case of the Hub, I think the film would make the unit run hotter and therefore resulting in shorter life.
It gets way too WARM/HOT even without the protective film...Poor ventilation design... and that is a killer for most "computerized"" electronic chips/ components.
We will see if the problem gets worse/widespread as the hub reaches 2 years!

Leeway

Post by Leeway » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:01 pm

I'm actually tired of this thread. If you buy a hot water heater or any other appliance for that matter with a 12 month warranty and it dies in 15 months do you think they are going to do anything for you?

Either go get Vonage or bite the bullet and get another Ooma. I would in a heartbeat!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Leeway wrote:Either go get Vonage or bite the bullet and get another Ooma. I would in a heartbeat!
That's because your math is straight. Some people get very bad at math when upset.

allo

Post by allo » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:40 pm

Leeway wrote:I'm actually tired of this thread. If you buy a hot water heater or any other appliance for that matter with a 12 month warranty and it dies in 15 months do you think they are going to do anything for you?

Either go get Vonage or bite the bullet and get another Ooma. I would in a heartbeat!
water heaters come with a 5 to 12 yr warranty...
when one has to come up with $250 every year or so to replace a phone it is kind of upsetting! ... very upsetting!

southsound

Post by southsound » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:44 pm

allo wrote:water heaters come with a 5 to 12 yr warranty.
But using one to make a phone call is really difficult. I've found that when I use mine the conversation sounds terrible. Not an echo, more of a gurgle! If you find one that makes good phone calls, please post the manufacturer and model number.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Bob859

Post by Bob859 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:08 am

Leeway wrote:I'm actually tired of this thread. If you buy a hot water heater or any other appliance for that matter with a 12 month warranty and it dies in 15 months do you think they are going to do anything for you?

Or you could consider http://www.nettalk.com