Ooma has sold my personal information

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Davesworld
Re: Ooma has sold my personal information

Post by Davesworld » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Bobby, which CNAM database are you talking about? I know you have an internal CNAM database that will show CNAM when calling another Ooma number but all my Ooma numbers when going to non Ooma phone numbers and also checking them against the three major CNAM databases (Verisign being the major one) comes up as Unknown or Private. I once had a number ported into Ooma and THAT one still showed nationally because the previous provider charged me to have it inserted. The same number showed the CNAM that ooma assigned internally when calling an ooma number but elsewhere showed the proper name that was inserted into the national CNAM/LIDB databases before the port.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Davesworld, do you know a good one that we can look up online? http://tnid.org/ I thought was good but now I find it inaccurate a lot of the times.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:37 am

lbmofo wrote:Davesworld, do you know a good one that we can look up online? http://tnid.org/ I thought was good but now I find it inaccurate a lot of the times.
What I wound up doing costs me a small amount. I opened an account and put 25 bucks in it at http://www.cnam.info/ since the free queries are only rationed out in small amounts every day. Once I got my key I then came up with a url that works in a web browser.

http://query.cnam.info/yourphonenumberh ... ourkeyhere and this will show up in a readable form but if you log into your account it will show it very clearly in the history. It winds up costing a penny a query but it DOES dip into Verisign as well as two other LIDB/CNAM databases. I've learned quite a bit about how CNAM really works. The PSTN Telcos dip every incoming call through the big three, usually Verisign. Cnam.info is really intended to be set up in an ATA or PBX that allows you to set up where CNAM comes from but it's a usable url I gleaned from looking at the Asterisk config file they give you. Trevor the guy who owns that service also frequents dslreports voip forum.

Post by **** » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:17 am

Ooma is swimming in the same information pool that we all do. It's a business and they can only do the minimum possible and still be profitable without spending large on lawyers to fight why they won't release info to CNAM or others etc.
I personally have probably aged beyond my years out of anger with the erosion of privacy I have experienced since the early '90's. While I am more than sympathetic to hear anyone struggling with trying to accept what they can not change but it is an absolute fact that you have no privacy - period.
Without evoking some governmental conspiracy theory I would suggest you contact one of the thousands of sleezy online websites that advertise finding all the personal information on anyone your curious about. For $35 to $50 someone being paid $7 will send you quite allot in about a 1/2hr. Pay more money and your jaw will hit the floor.
But that's just on the level of working with information that, if you applied yourself, you could have acquired for practically free on your own. At a corporate level the majority of companies are allowed, and do share masses of data. Sure most personal info is stripped. Company X says it wants to 'pay' company Y for all its sales volume or bandwidth traffic levels or some other seemingly innocuous info so it can chart this data for understanding growth etc. But there is no law saying they can't piece together other data from other companies/sources with this other data. Very soon and with sophisticated programs it's child's play to identify with very good accuracy who all these other bits of data belong to. And once that info is considered fairly accurate it is then vetted by other means and then considered factual. This quality of info is quite valuable and it rarely finds it's way to spammers who miss the true potential of this resource. btw anyone questioning the legality of corporations being allowed to do any of this would need to delve into international law since so many of these corporations are global in scope and often registered in foreign countries.
Now for the governmental conspiracy. It's not a conspiracy, it's fact. E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g you do and say is recorded. This was done even before it was legal. And with the passing of the permanent Patriot Act it IS all LEGAL. And the NSA is authorized to do it. In fact the NSA has run out of space to house all of the both recorded AND transcribed permanently kept records at their Fort Mead headquarters and is just finishing completion of a massive brand new storage facility in San Antonio, Texas to house the expansion.
For anyone mistaking my post as some sort of bluster (or for those who don't read books) I recommend that you watch a couple of PBS Nova/Frontline documentary's - 'Spying on the Homefront' later updated/adpted into 'The Spy Factory' (watch free at PBS.org) and look for an upcoming episode in the works revealing the NSA 'AQUAINT ' program (Advanced QUestion Answering for INTelligence) that is being designed to specifically know how you think.

Who ever thought we would wistfully look back fondly on the 'good ol days' of simple Spam & robo callers.

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:04 pm

Those sites you pay money to get information have access to public records such as criminal, marital, bankruptcies and so forth. Any part of your life involving the legal system has always been public record. Credit reports are not even though they tend to be treated as such.

Post by **** » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:08 am

don't forget a quick, reveling search of any Facebook, Myspace, self named home page, etc.
And if that doesn't provide enough a simple search of any friends pages can often reveal things
about you that you would not have placed in public but your 'buddy' thinks are just fine.
I don't think anyone doubts either that there are private databases out there that for a price
and most likely a serious non-disclosure contract will provide detailed info as well.

Also from the agreement you consent to in order to post on this board ...
The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Ooma Forums” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Ooma Forums” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
...it looks like Ooma is playing NSA's little helper by 'permanently' recording everything we say here matched right up with our names, address and phone number. Just in case. (by getting you to agree to this they avoid any possible sticky legal issues that may arise out of pending law suits regarding privacy rights). Oh and 'hacking' is a rather loose term when you enter a court room - it doesn't have to be an outsider.
I like the part about "information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent". Do they think we are children ? As soon as I hit 'Submit' (what a word) everything I typed goes straight to ATT's 611 Folsom Street Facility on the 7th floor in San Francisco (originally SBC Communications when equipment was first installed) that handles most of west coast & Pacific Rim data and is instantaneously 'mirrored' (fiber optically split) and sent directly to the NSA (a documented fact & the center of an ongoing law suit by the EFF). The classified NSA technology used to monitor these communications is codenamed Tutelage, and is already used on military networks. Also, since when does local law enforcement, the FBI, the IRS and countless other governmental agencies etc. need my 'consent' to get any of this info ?

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 am

My solution was to move my communications equipment into a safe environment and to use a disguise when in public. Readers of this forum are among the few who know that I'm really a raccoon.

My living room:

Keeping my home off the grid:

ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:41 am

**** wrote:don't forget a quick, reveling search ...
It's always good to have some revelry while you're searching.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Rackety Coon Chile, how do you upload photos? I found no way to do it. What'd I miss?

scoutconnor

Post by scoutconnor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:05 pm

See Below.
Attachments
Capt2ure.PNG
Capt2ure.PNG (45.11KiB)Viewed 8834 times