OOMA and it's high international rates..

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
lbmofo
Re: OOMA and it's high international rates..

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:48 am

I know some people that came to Ooma from Comcast. You want to see "ridiculously high?" Go take a look at Comcast Voice international rates. These same folks that are with Ooma now (used to pay Comcast rates) are using Ooma's pay as you go prepaid international call service (they think it is dirt cheap). They know about these other options you mentioned but they want the convenience of "direct dial" without dialing extra numbers. Different strokes for different folks.

That said, FYI, you can use any phone (landline, Ooma, cell phone) to use Google Voice.
Check this out: /viewtopic.php?t=13383#p93077

kieranmullen

Post by kieranmullen » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Use betamax and one of their clones like voipbuster.com smslisto.com etc compare at http://backsla.sh/betamax

You usually pay 10 euro and then you get free calling to many destinations for 90 days. Any calls made to non free destinationrs or to free destinations after 90 days comes out of that allowance.

danshiki

Post by danshiki » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:08 am

I do not subscribe to the international rate bundle because my country is not among the 61 countries included in the bundle, It may make sense to subscribe to the bundle if you call any of the select countries frequently and disciplined enough not to exceed the 1000 minutes. Otherwise I will suggest you try one of the many modern calling card companies littered all over the web.
For instance I use a company called KeKu (formerly Stana Card) for cheap international calls. Enter my referral code 150287 and get up to $10 free when you add credit! www.keku.com/?r=150287. They have sophiscated system you can use with any phone including home, Ooma and cell phones ( regular, android and iphone). They have cell phone apps. Minutes do not expire and you do not have to carry any physical card. There is no connection fees.I have been using it for years and loving it.

It is important to note that even with the hikes Ooma is still a great value compared to the telcos.

kieranmullen

Post by kieranmullen » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:16 am

Is that a referral code in yours? It is hard for one not to be biased when they have a referral code in their links.

Then again lbmofo always posts them and has them in his sigature so I would not worry about it.

danshiki wrote:I do not subscribe to the international rate bundle because my country is not among the 61 countries included in the bundle, It may make sense to subscribe to the bundle if you call any of the select countries frequently and disciplined enough not to exceed the 1000 minutes. Otherwise I will suggest you try one of the many modern calling card companies littered all over the web.
For instance I use a company called KeKu (formerly Stana Card) for cheap international calls. Enter my referral code 150287 and get up to $10 free when you add credit! http://www.keku.com/?r=150287. They have sophiscated system you can use with any phone including home, Ooma and cell phones ( regular, android and iphone). They have cell phone apps. Minutes do not expire and you do not have to carry any physical card. There is no connection fees.I have been using it for years and loving it.

It is important to note that even with the hikes Ooma is still a great value compared to the telcos.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:52 am

danshiki wrote:For instance I use a company called KeKu (formerly Stana Card) for cheap international calls.
For those folks that want to forego direct dialing and go the route of calling cards and alike, this place does seem cheaper, comapred to GV, for a lot of destinations (there are more expensive destinations too). OneSuite is another place I checked out and used before. But I'd still tell folks that are on the calling card track to just use Google Voice (no hassle, no worry - everyday low price - much like Costco). If you install Google Voice app to your iPhone, Android, iPad, iPod (and enable "Click2Call" if not already), you can even do "no dialing" international calling using any of your phones. Epitome of covenience.
kieranmullen wrote:Is that a referral code in yours? It is hard for one not to be biased when they have a referral code in their links.

Then again lbmofo always posts them and has them in his sigature so I would not worry about it.
That's right. I do my best to spread the word on savings. To Ooma forum, how to save even more when shopping online. For example, a lot of folks buy Groupon. However, people may not know that they can get ~6% cash back every time they buy Groupon. Another example...summer is here so folks maybe looking to book a vacation package....if they are going to buy a package from Expedia anyway, why not get ~3% in cash back on top? Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire...get moola back with all these guys too. Extra savings, people like....

To cash back friends, getting the word out on hundreds of $$$$ in Ooma savings. People just like to save money.

fonfellow

Post by fonfellow » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:10 pm

I reviewed a few rates - Panama, Turkey, Serbia, Pakistan - and most cases ooma has a lower basic per minute rate. Unless you really like to dial an access number plus a pin plus the int'l number, this whole onesuite product has very little going for it. Although it's probably nice to have when you're travelling.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes, Ooma rates are very competitive (direct dial without any extra steps is the most attractive) if you use prepaid and pay as you go. Even better if you are a heavy caller and subscribe to Ooma's international plan. Either case, if you travel overseas, Ooma app allows you to call home for free and other US numbers for free to cheap anywhere you have wifi. Very nice option. If you are away from home in the US, you can dip into Ooma international minutes (or prepaid balance) anywhere you have wifi, 3G, 4G using the Ooma app as well.