My experience... STAY AWAY!!!!!

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
huggybear
Re: My experience... STAY AWAY!!!!!

Post by huggybear » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:15 pm

The new modem came with an Ethernet cable, but it looks nothing like the ones you posted. It's a single yellow cable. We didn't plug it in at first, but when the modem didn't work, we unhooked & redid everything using the Ethernet cable that time. I don't understand if you need one of the cables you show, why doesn't the outside of the box or the instructions say this? If it wasn't for the people on the Forum I would get nowhere fast. (Well, I guess I am anyway, but without you, it would be faster.) Frustrating!

Davesworld

Post by Davesworld » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:31 am

WayneDsr wrote:That was a great idea about bringing the modem to the computer..... almost too obvious to think of!

Huggybear - can you post the model number of that Actiontec modem/router? I can look up the manual and see what it says about wireless.

Wayne
Noooooo. Bad idea. You should never have a long cord from the wall to the modem and you should not use flat parallel wired phone cords even if only three feet. 6 feet should be tops and ONLY cord that is intended for dsl such as what the modem came with or buy a round modem cable made with twisted strands. It's better to have 150 feet of ethernet cable than it is to have even 15 feet of cord from the wall to the modem.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:49 am

Davesworld wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:That was a great idea about bringing the modem to the computer..... almost too obvious to think of!

Huggybear - can you post the model number of that Actiontec modem/router? I can look up the manual and see what it says about wireless.

Wayne
Noooooo. Bad idea. You should never have a long cord from the wall to the modem and you should not use flat parallel wired phone cords even if only three feet. 6 feet should be tops and ONLY cord that is intended for dsl such as what the modem came with or buy a round modem cable made with twisted strands. It's better to have 150 feet of ethernet cable than it is to have even 15 feet of cord from the wall to the modem.
I agree, but she's doing this temporarily just to set up her router. It's either buying a long cat 5 or a long phone cable. Phone cable would be much cheaper. Then, when she's finished she can move the modem back where it was and access the router via wireless.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

huggybear

Re: My experience... STAY AWAY!! & Help

Post by huggybear » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:56 am

Ok, my brilliant son-in-law has now installed the new Actiontec modem/router. Interesting though to see the light for the phone line constantly blinking. If my Ooma Telo is working correctly, shouldn't that light be a solid green?

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:03 am

huggybear wrote:Ok, my brilliant son-in-law has now installed the new Actiontec modem/router. Interesting though to see the light for the phone line constantly blinking. If my Ooma Telo is working correctly, shouldn't that light be a solid green?
How is the light labeled? A DSL light is usually solid. If the blinking light is labeled Internet, or LAN, or WAN, then blinking means activity. My observation is that the hub (so I suspect telo too) is always checking in with the "mother ship", so even when you think the Internet connection is idle, ooma is busy keeping tabs on the device.

[edit] Well I just took a quick peek at the quickstart quide posted by thunderbird (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10215&start=40#p70790) and on the 7th page it does say the Internet line is solid green... And no other lights are explained in the guide... So I guess we need more info... Exactly which light is flashing?
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:35 am

EricJRW: You are absolutely correct about the blinking light at the Internet connection where the patch cable plugs into the Ooma device. The blinking light lets us know that validation is being provided and the other solid light means at a minimum that there is a connection.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:43 am

I guess the most important question is: Can you make and receive calls on the Telo?
If yes, it's working
If no, it's not!

Let use know

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

huggybear

Post by huggybear » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:13 am

You are too funny!
It is the light where the Telo is connected. Yes, I can make calls but I could make calls before, they just often got dropped and/or would ring twice & go to dead air. (Which is why, at the suggestion of many of you I got a new modem/router.) Power light is solid, with Internet & Telo lights flickering.

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Sounds like you are good to go... Let us know how things work out with the new modem.
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

huggybear

Post by huggybear » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:27 pm

You bet I will let you know. I sure hope this is the answer as I really did not want to leave Ooma, but have to have a dependable phone.
Thanks ever so much everyone for all your patience!!