Ooma Telo lights go off but phone works

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
wmrmiller3
Ooma Telo lights go off but phone works

Post by wmrmiller3 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:43 am

My Ooma Telo is connected to my Uniden base cordless phone. When I end my call and return the handset to the base, all the telo lights go off BUT the phone still works OK. I have to reboot my Telo to get the lights back on. I'm getting tired of rebooting...what's the problem? Anyone else seen this?

murphy

Re: Ooma Telo lights go off but phone works

Post by murphy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:51 am

Tap the middle button in the top row until you get the illumination level that you want.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:14 pm

murphy wrote:Tap the middle button in the top row until you get the illumination level that you want.
Image Pretty soon you'll have enough to retire! :P

Note to wmrmiller3: Inside joke among old timers on the forum. All of us have had the same thing happen to us. With the older hub it was the little wheel on the side that caused us to feel the same way. Welcome to ooma and the forum!
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

wmrmiller3

Post by wmrmiller3 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks to Southsound and Murphy BUT it is not an illumination problem. When the lights go off touching the illum button does nothing. I have also found that when this happens I can call out but incoming calls do not ring. Also this doesn't happen every tiome I return the phone to its base...only happens about half the time. Very frustrating...

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:32 pm

If your ooma is less than a year old, I think I'd call ooma at 888 711-6662 and have them send an RMA (Return Material Authorization). Often they will cross-ship - sending you a unit before they receive yours. That way you will not be without service. What you are describing sounds like a faulty Telo.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Comment withdrawn

deac99

Post by deac99 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:52 am

I had the same problem except the lights would not come back on at all after a few times - called tech support, we messed with it for a while, and they confirmed it was defective - got it replaced with no problem.

wmrmiller3

Post by wmrmiller3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:50 am

I found a solution! When the lights went out, I had the Ooma telo and the charger for the phone's base station plugged into the same surge protector. I experimented with plugging the Ooma and then the phone into other outlets. Separating the plugs fixed the problem. Apparently the Ooma is very sensitive to small power surges when the phone was returned to the base station which resulted in the lights going off. I haven't had any other problems with Ooma.

bocaboy

Post by bocaboy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks so much for this answer. Today I changed from Comcast to Uverse and in rebooting the Ooma device the lights no longer came on, but the phones worked just fine. I must have inadvertently touched the button and dimmed the lights.

Thank you again!

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:01 pm

I found a solution!
What make/model is your surge protector?