Caller Id not showing phone number

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Trinimd
Re: Caller Id not showing phone number

Post by Trinimd » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:30 am

I have a Uniden DECT phone as well.
OOMA TELO 1 (Purchased Dec 2009.)
OOMA Telo 2 (Purchased Feb 2010.)
3 Ooma Handsets (Free from refer a friend) Sold all 3 POS on Ebay
2 GE ATT DECT 6.0
7 Uniden 1580 DECT 6.0
20 Refer A friends Completed

All Powered by one Phone Socket

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Trinimd & lhight:

I'm just throwing this out there - if you are seeing the name and number on your Uniden phone while the call is ringing in, then the number disappears after the call ,then it sounds to me like possibly something with your Uniden phones if I am understanding correctly. I don't see how Ooma can delete the numbers off of a NON-Ooma device.

What am I missing? :?

Trinimd

Post by Trinimd » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:10 pm

I thought the same thing.
Its also happening on my ge phone as well as my telo handset
2 GE ATT DECT 6.0
7 Uniden 1580 DECT 6.0

lhight

Post by lhight » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:54 pm

tomcat wrote:Trinimd & lhight:

I'm just throwing this out there - if you are seeing the name and number on your Uniden phone while the call is ringing in, then the number disappears after the call ,then it sounds to me like possibly something with your Uniden phones if I am understanding correctly. I don't see how Ooma can delete the numbers off of a NON-Ooma device.

What am I missing? :?
I agree that it doesn't make sense that Ooma can delete numbers off of a non-Ooma device, but maybe it has to do with how those numbers are coming in. Perhaps the the device (since this is happening on telo handsets as well) isn't able to correctly read the number in order to store it after receiving it.

I'm pretty sure it's not my Uniden phone. Here's why. For one, I spent a couple of hours on the phone with their customer service and they walked me through everything they could have thought to do, including resetting my phone. They suggested I check with my phone company.

I was skeptical, but figured I'd check this forum... and I found I was not alone. Next, I called Ooma and they reset my Telo. Afterwards, a Ooma support rep called to test my caller id and it worked. The number displayed stayed on the phone. But later, when I received other phone calls, the number is displayed, but differently than I was used to seeing it. It had a blank space (On my Uniden the space is black), "1", then the area code and the number. Normally, I see the area code and number with no space and then "1" in front of it. When the numbers come up on my caller id with the space, and 1, they do not stay on my caller id. But, when they come in as the Ooma customer support number did, with the area code and number, they remain on my caller id. Something is going on with how certain numbers are coming in.

Can anyone else back me on this?

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:56 pm

electriclm wrote:Number shows on phone during ringing of incoming calls but does not show after the caller hangs up.
Almost certainly an Ooma bug.

That is significant diagnostic information. What it indicates is that the Telo is sending your instruments a correct data string between the first and second rings (allowing the instruments to display the name and number), but later is sending another string that contradicts the first one. Most telephone instruments will accept a Caller-ID string any time -- they don't check to see if it's between rings.

Caller ID works by sending a data string to the connected instruments between the first and second rings. Once the second ring has started, no further information should be sent -- and the instruments that displayed the information (time, date, name, number) should keep that information until the next call comes in. If all instruments stop displaying after the last ring, it can only be that the Telo is sending them an additional (incorrect) string after ringing has stopped; perhaps after the call ends. That is what is called a bug.

Trinimd

Post by Trinimd » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Thank you for clarifying. Very informative.
Can you go to ooma and fix it now ;-)
2 GE ATT DECT 6.0
7 Uniden 1580 DECT 6.0

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:25 am

Trinimd wrote:Thank you for clarifying. Very informative.
Can you go to ooma and fix it now ;-)
Alas.

AlpacaLips

Post by AlpacaLips » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:53 pm

Same problem here. Started the 16th or 17th. Clearly OOMA made a change in programming. I just called OOMA tech support, who first said it was just the information in the caller ID database (i.e., not their problem), but I explained that the phone number IS in the database, because it is appearing while the call is live. The person on the other end of the phone did some more offline checking, and came back with this answer:

Basic service no longer includes incoming caller ID.

That answer took 27 minutes of sitting on hold (about 22 minutes of which was listening to dead air while the CS person did who knows what).

I don't know if this answer is correct, but if it is, it HACKS ME OFF for two reasons: (1) I signed up for service with a certain feature set, and now I'm not getting it. (2) The fact that the data shows while the call is live proves that the full caller ID information is accessible to me, and that OOMA is taking an EXTRA STEP to deprive me of a standard phone feature that is included in pretty much every other phone service on the planet. The only possible motivation for this is to withhold the feature in order to coerce people to upgrade to premium service.

Switching to OOMA was a pretty hard sale for my wife, and caller ID was a big deal for her. Unfortunately, Ooma doesn't care if I leave--they've already gotten my money.

AlpacaLips

Post by AlpacaLips » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:03 pm

This is listed in OOMA's FAQ, NOT in the "premier" section:

Does Ooma provide caller-ID service?

Ooma provides inbound caller-ID at no extra charge for all calls that come in on a number you've selected from Ooma or a number you've ported to Ooma. If you're using the Ooma system with a landline back-up, however, you'll need to get inbound caller-ID from your landline phone company.

Ooma also provides outgoing caller-ID at no extra charge. By default, during activation, your caller-ID will be set to use your last and first names. If you wish to change or personalize an existing outgoing caller-ID name at a later time, you can choose to do so for a one-time charge of $19.99. Acceptable caller-ID names contain some combination of your first name, last name and/or your home business name. New requests and changes for outgoing caller-ID name are processed within 5 business days.

Either CS is feeding a line or their website is out of date. Considering that the CS person said that Caller ID officially went away several months ago and is just now being turned off, the website would have to be REALLY out of date. Time to hassle the company president.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:47 pm

AlpacaLips wrote:Same problem here. Started the 16th or 17th. Clearly OOMA made a change in programming. I just called OOMA tech support, who first said it was just the information in the caller ID database (i.e., not their problem), but I explained that the phone number IS in the database, because it is appearing while the call is live. The person on the other end of the phone did some more offline checking, and came back with this answer:

Basic service no longer includes incoming caller ID.

That answer took 27 minutes of sitting on hold (about 22 minutes of which was listening to dead air while the CS person did who knows what).
I would also be upset with that answer. It is incorrect. Incoming CID (number only) as a basic feature of all ooma systems. The only part that is an option on some systems is Enhanced CID (number and name). The CS person is very misinformed. The website is correct. Since the time you noticed the problem, ooma has been having some problems with Incoming CID on some Telo units. Now idea how many or why just some were affected. Mine was one of them. I believe that a fix is in the works so hang tight. Also, as to ooma caring about their customers, after more than two years with them and as proud owner of both hub/scout and Telo systems, I can tell you from experience that they care greatly. They don't do a lot of advertising so their growth depends on happy customers and word of mouth. With that kind of business model, customer satisfaction becomes very important. I'm sorry you got a bozo when you called their support number.

And for the record, I am not an ooma employee - just a very happy customer.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.