3 Weeks and 3 Replacement Devices Later, STILL No Service

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
jkga
3 Weeks and 3 Replacement Devices Later, STILL No Service

Post by jkga » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Had ooma set up and running for about 2 months. Three weeks ago, lost dial tone all the sudden. Worked with ooma support and tried 3 replacement devices, none of them working. During the process, tried to access the setup page of the last two devices, it's not accessible; apparently, the replacements were bad.

Called on 4/2 and was promised to send another replacement on Monday, 4/4, which never happened. Called again many times yesterday and today, no one there know what's going on and not sure if another replacement would be sent.

What would you do?

lbmofo

Re: 3 Weeks and 3 Replacement Devices Later, STILL No Service

Post by lbmofo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Do you have a ticket number?

I'd make it easy to track history by emailing support. support@oomacare.com Include the ticket # in the subject if you have one.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:37 pm

jkga:
Three Ooma devices and a forth on the way? No way!

There probably is something else going on, like a bad Ooma power adapter that could be damaging the Ooma devices. Or your home's equipment power adapters got mixed up. Or power is back feeding to the Ooma device through the modem connection, router connection, computer connection, or wireless phone connection. Strange things happen sometimes.

When Ooma has sent you the replacement Ooma, have they ever sent a replacement power adapter also?

I wouldn't plug in another replacement Ooma device until the power adapter is replaced also. Call Ooma support and tell them.

If you can connect to your modem with a computer and you can access the Internet, than your modem is probably okay.

If you can connect to the router with your computer and you can access the Internet, than your router is probably okay.

That leaves the wireless base connection to the Ooma device. Upon first startup of the replacement Ooma device, I would only connect a corded phone to the Ooma device's home port, just for testing purposes.

If possible take your wireless phone and base to a friends home and test it there, before connecting it to Ooma again.

Test and make sure everything is working before connecting your wireless phone base to the Ooma device.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:33 pm

jkga wrote:Had ooma set up and running for about 2 months. Three weeks ago, lost dial tone all the sudden. Worked with ooma support and tried 3 replacement devices, none of them working. During the process, tried to access the setup page of the last two devices, it's not accessible; apparently, the replacements were bad.

Called on 4/2 and was promised to send another replacement on Monday, 4/4, which never happened. Called again many times yesterday and today, no one there know what's going on and not sure if another replacement would be sent.

What would you do?
This may sound a little basic but I ask because it has happened before to another member of the forum. Are you sure that the wiring on your device is correct?

Check to make sure that the phone or phone base is attached to the PHONE connection. Not the WALL connection. Also, make sure that the cable from the router goes to the TO INTERNET port (MODEM on the hub) and not the HOME NETWORK or HOME port and that it is a proper RJ45 cable - not a phone cord.

Again, I know these are basic things but the other poster had someone doing some cleaning and thought they had plugged everything in the same way as before.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.