blinking/rebooting every 5 minutes

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
dpie4
blinking/rebooting every 5 minutes

Post by dpie4 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:10 pm

My Ooma has been blinking red for about one minute, then goes back to blue for about 3-4 minutes then starts red all over again. I was hoping it would be fine by the time I got home from work at 4pm but no, still doing it. What is the first thing I should try?

Thanks.
Dpie4

thunderbird

Re: blinking/rebooting every 5 minutes

Post by thunderbird » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:18 pm

dpie4 wrote:My Ooma has been blinking red for about one minute, then goes back to blue for about 3-4 minutes then starts red all over again. I was hoping it would be fine by the time I got home from work at 4pm but no, still doing it. What is the first thing I should try?

Thanks.
Dpie4
Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right.
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

If the factory reset doesn't help, the Ooma Telo is probably defective. If the Ooma Telo is in the one year warranty period, contact Ooma Customer support the have the Ooma Telo replaced under warranty. Shipping to and from your home is prepaid.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

dpie4

Post by dpie4 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:06 pm

I have tried several times following each step and it boots back to the rapidly flashing red light.

Number 4 on the list of directions never happened; trash/envelope lights did not come on.Went straight to the bottom row.

Number 8 says to hold trash/stop down until told to release - how long does that take? I held them down a long time and nothing said to release, I finally got tired of holding them. If I need to just keep holding until something talks to me let me know and I will do it again.

It has been working so well for the 2 months I have had it. Love those $3.78 bills. Glad I can still get my messages as we have doctors/insurances that will be trying to reach us. I am terribly disappointed, however.

So does it sound like I will have to request a replacement?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:13 pm

dpie4 wrote:I have tried several times following each step and it boots back to the rapidly flashing red light.

Number 4 on the list of directions never happened; trash/envelope lights did not come on.Went straight to the bottom row.

Number 8 says to hold trash/stop down until told to release - how long does that take? I held them down a long time and nothing said to release, I finally got tired of holding them. If I need to just keep holding until something talks to me let me know and I will do it again.

It has been working so well for the 2 months I have had it. Love those $3.78 bills. Glad I can still get my messages as we have doctors/insurances that will be trying to reach us. I am terribly disappointed, however.

So does it sound like I will have to request a replacement?
I heard of this happening two or three times in the past few months. Some times the Factory Reset works, and some times the Ooma Telo has to be replaced. I've never heard of anyone having this problem a second time.

The Trash and Stop button is held until the Ooma Symbol turns solid Read. Then the Buttons are released.

If the Factory reset procedure doesn't work, contact Ooma Customer Support.

dpie4

Post by dpie4 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:22 pm

I wanted to reply to this in case someone else should have this problem. If it helps one person it is worth the time.

I ended up contacting customer support first by email; followed all directions; then by live chat who suggested tech support. Spent at least 30-45 minutes on the phone with them. We were able to get the Ooma back to all blue lights by connecting directly to the modem. However, my modem only has one port and that port needs to be for my wireless router otherwise I have no internet. So, I had to wire directly from the router to the Ooma which meant disconnecting yet again and putting it back on my desk instead of in the (inconvenient) cupboard where my modem and router are. Fortunately I had a fairly new 30' ethernet cord from the old days of my hardwired Dell. Well, then it wouldn't connect, yet again! Then I lost internet to my computer as well!

Ultimately I powered down the modem, router and Ooma one more time. Carefully reconnected first the modem, then the router, then the Ooma. I was never so glad to see blue lights in my life!!

What I don't understand is that I had the Ooma connected to my computer for 2 months. Worked beautifully. What would make it suddenly not work? Customer service gal said it had to be connected to the modem shouldn't be connected to the computer. But it worked. So, why not? The live chat guy also said the computer should not be a problem.

At any rate, it is finally working and I will continue to enjoy my $3.78 phone bill. :D

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:31 pm

dpie4:
If you were using Internet Connection Sharing through your computer, sometimes the setup becomes disturbed, usually from running a virus or internet security program, or a program like Norton Utilies, and has to be undone, and then reconfigured.

boilermaker

Post by boilermaker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Another data point, in case others are having reset issues: my Telo is new to me (I purchased a refurb unit), it resets during calls anywhere from 1 minute to 15 minutes into the call. When I say "reset" I mean true reset, not lost connection - all lights go off for a few seconds, then the "1" and "2" lights turn back on, and the Telo continues its boot process. I always end up with blue lights. The Telo is installed behind my router. I have my router set up so the Telo is in a DMZ zone with QOS ensuring a chunk of my bandwidth goes to the Telo (my router is running Tomato firmware). When the Telo is not resetting, it works extremely well - excellent voice quality, no issues at all. But then it resets itself on every call I've made.

I made a call (via my old land line I hope to get rid of) to Ooma's customer support - they walked me through a factory reset, same as Thuderbird's suggestion. The Telo reset to factory settings like it's supposed to, but didn't fix the unit resetting during calls. I called customer support again, they are sending me a replacement Telo, probably another refurb. I hope the replacement passed Ooma's QC testing better than the one I have now. I have high hopes for this Telo, it performs much better than I expected when it's working. When I get the replacement unit, I'll let you know how it goes.

On a side note, I'm really encouraged to see an active and technically deep forum here at Ooma. This is good news to me, hopefully I can contribute my experiences.