Suggestion - add a remote 'reboot' option

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
careh
Suggestion - add a remote 'reboot' option

Post by careh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:24 am

I suggest Ooma add a 'reboot' option on the My Ooma portal so that users with challenges could remotely reboot their Ooma box. Right now one has to be physically at their Ooma box to reboot (power cycle) it.

If you are not at home - then you (and Ooma tech's) are not able to do anything if your Ooma is acting up.

Another suggestion for current Ooma users is to add a timer on the power line coming to your Ooma box. Set the timer to turn power off in the early morning hours - when no one should be using the Ooma - then it can restore power a minute later. This will do a re-boot once a day - which for flaky software can sometimes be a great help.

VegasGuy

Re: Suggestion - add a remote 'reboot' option

Post by VegasGuy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:17 am

I would also like to see an option to reboot the Telo remotely. I was surprised to see it wasn't there when I needed to reboot it. Even a $10 router has a reboot option. Please add this feature to the Telo.

/edit
My reason for requesting this option is because I had a problem with accessing my second private line. I could only get a busy signal when I picked up the line. This was after I had disabled a temporary call forwarding.

Rebooting the Telo was the only way to get a dial tone back. A button in Telo Setup has obvious benefits.
Premier Subscriber
Cox Cable > Cisco Modem (60dn/10up) > Router > Switch > Telo v98015 w/Static IP
1 Private Line via Linx

swamper

Post by swamper » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:27 am

Being able to remotely reboot any Internet device can be a serious security issue, especially if it's only protected via a 4-digit PIN.

On the other hand, with modern security technology, a smart-phone app with that function is entirely feasible.

VegasGuy

Post by VegasGuy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:52 pm

swamper wrote:Being able to remotely reboot any Internet device can be a serious security issue, especially if it's only protected via a 4-digit PIN.

On the other hand, with modern security technology, a smart-phone app with that function is entirely feasible.
In my case, I'm only looking for a reboot button when I access the telo via its IP address on my LAN. A lot of Telo users have their Telo mounted in locations in their home that are not convenient to get at. Lazy? Sure. But when a $10 router has a Reboot button it makes the omission of one on the Telo appear to be a beta version of firmware.
Premier Subscriber
1 Private Line via Linx

highq

Post by highq » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:19 pm

How can you access the IP of your Telo, since it is a NATed address, invisible from the Internet?

VegasGuy

Post by VegasGuy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:08 pm

highq wrote:How can you access the IP of your Telo, since it is a NATed address, invisible from the Internet?
I gave it a static IP and attached it on the LAN side of the router. http://192.168.1.235/

/edit
When I say Reboot button I am speaking of a firmware reboot button, generally found under "Tools" in most routers.
Premier Subscriber
1 Private Line via Linx

VegasGuy

Post by VegasGuy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:44 pm

A fair question may be, "That's all well and good when you are home but what if you are away from home and need to reboot?" The answer has a lot of different solutions, but for me if the Telo had the Reboot button in its Tools menu I could access my Telo via my Google Chrome Remote Desktop. That way I could reboot it via the Internet as if I was back in my house.

The reason I bring this up is in the few weeks I have been an Ooma customer I have twice I had to reboot my Telo. One time an Ooma tech asked me to reboot it while I was on vacation (she did it for me remotely somehow) and another time my second line on a Linx, a business line, locked up (constant busy signal) and the only way to get it to work was to reboot the Telo. If I had been away from our home office and unable to unplug the Telo I'm not sure what I would have done to fix my business line from over a thousand miles away.

With a firmware Reboot button I could have addressed these issues remotely and by myself.
Premier Subscriber
1 Private Line via Linx

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 am

careh wrote:I suggest Ooma add a 'reboot' option on the My Ooma portal so that users with challenges could remotely reboot their Ooma box. Right now one has to be physically at their Ooma box to reboot (power cycle) it.

If you are not at home - then you (and Ooma tech's) are not able to do anything if your Ooma is acting up.

Another suggestion for current Ooma users is to add a timer on the power line coming to your Ooma box. Set the timer to turn power off in the early morning hours - when no one should be using the Ooma - then it can restore power a minute later. This will do a re-boot once a day - which for flaky software can sometimes be a great help.
Hi Careh,

I wish there was a way to program an automatic reboot of the Telo during the early morning hours using the "My Ooma" portal. Here's why:

I have an answering machine, so I don't use the voice mail feature very often. However, I sometimes press the play button on the Telo to hear the woman say, "You have no messages." There is a slight delay after pressing the button which is normal. About a week-and-a half ago, I noticed that there was either a very long delay after pressing the play button, or the line one light would go out without any announcement at all. (I have the older version of the Telo.) At the time, I thought it might be because of a slowdown in my internet connection. Then, about a week later, when I tried calling out, I got a busy signal. I tried calling my own number and also got a busy signal instead of voice mail. All the lights were blue on the Telo, and I got the Ooma dial tone, so I thought there might be an overall service outage. I checked the forum and did not see any complaints or announcements of an outage. I then decided to power the Telo off and back on. I was then able to call out again without any problems. I also pressed the play button and the announcement played without any extended delay.

I don't know how long my service was out. I also don't know if anyone tried to call me and could not get through. But it seems that rebooting was needed to "clear out the cobwebs" in my Telo. I am worried that this glitch may happen again. If I have a 911 emergency, I won't have time to wait for the Ooma to reboot. I noticed that the last software revision for my Telo was in March. Perhaps a once a month reboot would be enough. Just wish it could be automatic without having to hook up a timer.

I thought that the Ooma logo would blink if there was a problem. However, I found an online review of the Ooma Telo in which the reviewer complained that the only way to know for sure if there is something wrong is to call out. My old ATT pots line was extremely reliable, but way overpriced, so I don't want to go back.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:14 am

It's somewhat expensive but if you plug the Telo power supply into a WEMO switch it can be power cycled from your smartphone. It can also be programmed to do the power cycle automatically.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-wemo ... &cp=1&lp=1
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:54 am

We're tracking this request in ticket #20771. We believe we should be able to add this 'reboot' button to a page in My Ooma.
Bobby B