Cannot factory reset Linx

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
nats50
Cannot factory reset Linx

Post by nats50 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:41 pm

I upgraded to a new Telo so I tried resetting the Linx registered to the old Telo unit but to no avail. Did anyone had success factory resetting a Linx?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Cannot factory reset Linx

Post by Tom » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:16 am

for procedure see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17678

nats50

Post by nats50 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:22 am

On troubleshooting Linx documentation page, it said,

"Factory reset your Ooma Linx device by using a paperclip or
pen tip to press and hold the reset switch on the bottom of the
device. After resetting the Linx device, you will need to follow the
instructions to re-register it to your Ooma system."

This is different from your suggestion of:

1. take a regular size paperclip with metal tips and bend one of the tips so you can use it to poke
2. plug the linx into a power outlet
3. look for the small hole to the left of the linx phone jack (the hole is on the rim of the linx cover)
4. check the paperclip tip is not too large (it should move freely and not meet any resistance from the sides of the hole)
5. slowly insert the paperclip tip into the hole until it can go no further
6. next press lightly on the tip until you feel the button inside the linx getting depressed
7. keep the tip in that position until you see the linx transitioning to just a blinking red LED on the right
8. now put the telo back into registration mode to pair the linx

If people follow the first directions on the documentation page, they will not be able to reset as the destiny of my first two Linx I tried resetting. After two failed attempts, with the third Linx, I followed your suggestion and to my great joy, I was able to reclaim my second line! I want to note also you must push the hole gently and never with force of resetting.

Please update the documentation page ASAP. Luckily I was still under the warranty so was able to ask for replacement so I am happy for now, but you know pretty soon many will have the same problem as I will have with the Telo upgrade.

Thank you for your help.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Is that text unclear because of the ambiguous 'the bottom of the device' or because it doesn't mention that the Linx needs to be powered up? The quick start guide does show a graphic indicating the location of the pin reset hole.