212-555-1212

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
VoIP
212-555-1212

Post by VoIP » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:39 pm

Is there any reason that delivery of calls from any variant of xxx-555-1212 (the old directory assistance number) wouldn't be intercepted by the community blacklist, since any such calls are undoubtedly spoofed?

I just received a call from that number 212 area code with name = IQ Bio. Supposedly all is working with the community blacklist according to support, but I have been inundated with nuisance calls over the past two months despite both blacklists enabled. Maybe it's just coincident that call bot activity to my number has picked up recently, but to put it in perspective, I've added nearly as many numbers to my personal blacklist since September as I had during any single year since being on Ooma - some six or more years now.

I manage my blacklist, it had less than three numbers on it just a few months ago, before the rapid increase. The 555-1212 number and flood of nuisance calls really brings into question how well the community blacklist is working as nearly all of the numbers I've added have been reported to online nuisance call list sites. Has anyone else experienced a spike in the number of those calls in recent months/weeks?

holmes4

Re: 212-555-1212

Post by holmes4 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:28 am

We've been asking Ooma to block calls from invalid numbers for years, yet nothing has been done. Yours is an intriguing aspect to the general problem, but I'd be happy if they'd block calls from "0", "1111" and "000-000-0000" which I get with regularity.

That said, scammers quite often fake valid phone numbers in your own area code, and Ooma wouldn't be able to filter those. I've even seen calls claiming to come from my own number!
Steve

VoIP

Post by VoIP » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:43 am

holmes4 wrote:We've been asking Ooma to block calls from invalid numbers for years, yet nothing has been done. Yours is an intriguing aspect to the general problem, but I'd be happy if they'd block calls from "0", "1111" and "000-000-0000" which I get with regularity.

That said, scammers quite often fake valid phone numbers in your own area code, and Ooma wouldn't be able to filter those. I've even seen calls claiming to come from my own number!
I'm quite sure I've never had a call from "0" and most certainly never from my own number. Just curious, when you say you been asking Ooma to block calls, would that be through Ooma's voice or chat support or through this site? It shouldn't really make much difference, but I've found the voice support & chat support to be generally weak For example, the support person I chatted with could not tell me whether 555-1212 was on the community blacklist, which is why I came here. In the past some of the Ooma forum moderators were higher level Ooma technical staff or even company officers.

I had hoped that someone from Ooma could comment on this topic and your requests concerning obviously spoofed numbers. In the earlier days of Ooma they probably might have explained things more on why they could or could not do something to curtail those.

holmes4

Post by holmes4 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:13 pm

I have used chat support and also filing tickets. I doubt the support people can see what is on the blacklist, and I doubt that 555-1212 would end up there. Support chat did tell me that they could put my numbers on a list that would treat any calling number shorter than 8 digits as blocked. I have no idea if this works, as, now that election season is over, the "0" calls have stopped and I haven't seen a "1111" call in a while. We shall see.

I agree that chat support is weak. Phone support has been better for me.
Steve