Expanded blacklist

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
VoIP
Expanded blacklist

Post by VoIP » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:22 am

I will be observing to see if what I have done reduces the out of control number of robocalls that I've received in recent months, but I went to add yet another number to my personal blacklist using the original my.ooma today. That's no longer possible and was referred to the beta site along with a suggestion to use the "Expanded blacklist" feature there. The new feature seems to use nomorobo. I know what that is, but I've never registered my number with them previously.

My question to the community is, do I need to register at nomorobo in order to fully utilize the capabilities of the expanded blacklist or has Ooma made arrangements to enable that without a separate registration at nomorobo?

To this point all I have done is to enable the expanded blacklist. I didn't find any information on that feature when searching Ooma support, so for now I'll make the assumption that enabling the expanded blacklist will provide me with nomorobo's features without the need for a separate registration at nomorobo, as was required prior to it's integration into my.ooma.

Maybe someone can confirm, otherwise I'll update this some weeks from now with my observations.

VoIP

Re: Expanded blacklist

Post by VoIP » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:02 am

I already have my first observation just moments after posting the topic. Despite enabling the expanded blacklist and the save button as well as receiving an on-screen confirmation that "The blacklist settings were successfully updated," the changes are not saved and are discarded every time I either exit my ooma, refresh that screen or navigate to a different menu and return to Blacklists.

For anyone attempting to use the expanded blacklist, be aware of that.

Selmeralto

Post by Selmeralto » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:08 am

I'm having the same problem: I check the "Enable Expanded Blacklist" box, click "Submit", get a confirmation notice that the action was saved but when I go to another page and return to Blacklist page, the "Enable Expanded Blacklist" box is unchecked. I've tried this on Firefox, IE, and told Ooma Live Chat about the problem. Live Chat suggested I try back in two hours.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:36 am

VoIP wrote:do I need to register at nomorobo in order to fully utilize the capabilities of the expanded blacklist or has Ooma made arrangements to enable that without a separate registration at nomorobo?
No need to register with Nomorobo.

As for the setting not sticking, please try again. I can't reproduce that using Firefox 34.0.5.

Selmeralto

Post by Selmeralto » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks, Tom. Just tried it, twice. Same result. I'm using the same version of Firefox as you.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:18 pm

I've reproduced it now. Looks to be an intermittent problem. We're investigating.

Weaselboy

Post by Weaselboy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Tom B wrote: No need to register with Nomorobo.
Tom-- Can you please clarify. If activated , are our calls going through nomorobo (forwarded) just like if we had signed up directly with them, or is Ooma just using nomorobos blacklist?

I recall from previous threads having calls fwd. through nomrobo limited the functionality of Oomas forward when Telo/network offline feature. Is that still a limitation with this implementation?

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:33 pm

You can workaround the expanded BL setting not sticking as follows: Whenever you want to change the expanded BL setting (disable or enable) also change the community BL setting. Then once you've done that change the community BL setting to what you want it to be (or leave as is).

Weaselboy, yes those limitations no longer apply.

Selmeralto

Post by Selmeralto » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi, Tom. The workaround did the trick. Thanks very much for your fast reply.

VoIP

Post by VoIP » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:00 pm

The suggested workaround did not work for me.

Chrome 39.0.2171.95 m browser

EDIT: I retried using a different computer, still no success with Chrome, however the workaround was successful using IE-11
Last edited by VoIP on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.