Expanded blacklist

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
veritas01
Re: Expanded blacklist

Post by veritas01 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Just realized I could enable the expanded blacklist feature. Hoping it reduces nuisance calls. I have over 200 entries on my blacklist from telemarketers and scammers. Still get 6-8 calls a week. They obviously keep changing their number. Hopefully this expanded blacklist feature will make a real reduction in nuisance calls.

Iraisok

Post by Iraisok » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:38 pm

Kat wrote:what stops the spammers/robocallers from using this method to get their numbers unblocked? Should I assume that Nomorobo will somehow check the unblock request to ensure it's legitimate?
Telemarketers only respond to calls that are answered by a human. I do not think they track which calls were dud's for what ever the reason or the msg. Further, I don't believe they'd justify tracking numbers that did not go through then waste their time entering those numbers in Nomorobo to get them unblocked. Actually wish they would spend all their time doing that. yeah, yeah yeah....

Lord Vader

Post by Lord Vader » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:50 pm

So how does one use this expanded blacklist? I'm maxed out at 256 and need to add another half dozen calls from certain numbers that are calling me 6-10 times a day with solicitations. I have the Expanded Blacklist box checked, but that's all that is showing. Can't I input somewhere the specific numbers that are calling me?

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

psikic

Post by psikic » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:08 pm

VoIP wrote:There were workarounds to utilize nomorobo with Ooma before it was introduced in the new beta. Thankfully, Ooma added that functionality and now none of us need a workaround to enjoy the benefits of nomorobo
I used to use the workaround using call forwarding to enable Nomorobo. I did that about 6 months ago and my 8-10 calls a day dropped to less than 1 a day. A couple of months ago, about the same time as when expanded blacklist became available through the beta my ooma console, I noticed my workaround quit working and the calls were back. I then logged onto nomorobo and ran their test -- the calls were being forwarded to nomorobo and they passed the test, however they kept ringing on the ooma side. Nomorobo's method of picking up the phone and then hanging up quit working.

I've tried turning off the forwarding and enabling the expanded blacklist, however the calls still keep coming through. I've contacted support and talked to Tier II, however the tech I spoke with hadn't even heard of the expanded blacklist. What should I do? I'm considering cancelling ooma and porting my number to Google voice, which almost never lets spammers through. I'll forward the home google voice number to my wife's and my cell phones, and be done with this problem. But I'd rather not do that.

Is there any way to know if Expanded blacklist is even working at all??!?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:38 pm

For some the enable goes away sometimes so make sure your Expanded Blacklist is enabled and save.

Morac

Post by Morac » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:44 pm

Is anyone else having an issue where the expanded blacklist appears to no longer work once an entry is added to the personal blacklist?

Since enabling expanded blacklist back in January, I haven't received any junk calls. That is until this Monday, March 16th. Since then I've received at least one junk call a day including ones from invalid phone numbers like "999950".

The only change I made was to add a number to my personal blacklist on March 15th, the day before this started.

I thought maybe the community and expanded blacklists somehow got unchecked, but I checked and they are still checked yet junk calls are now starting to come through.

Is it possible the web site is showing the blacklists as on when they are not?

Morac

Post by Morac » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:45 pm

Well I guess I should have enjoyed this while it lasted as it's now letting spam callers through. Got 3 calls from 973-453-2043 the past two days and according Google searches, it's a scam.

http://mrnumber.com/1-973-453-2043
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-973-45 ... 6822434189

Iraisok

Post by Iraisok » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:30 pm

I am not experiencing the problem just described by moral. In fact, I never receive a 2nd call from same telemarketer number after entering it at the Nomorobo site. Ever since Nomorobo became the expanded blacklist, I have not entered another number into my personal blacklist.

It's no big deal to create a login to Nomorobo. No need to enter your telo phone number. Essentially, anything I add to Nomorobo helps EVERYONE. I learned that my entry is in the Nomorobo database in an hr or so. It is up to Ooma to refresh their copy of the Nomorobo database often. I do not know how often Ooma does this.

These day I hardly receive undesirable calls. - possible one very 3 or 4 days.

Ira

Morac

Post by Morac » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:42 pm

Iraisok wrote: It's no big deal to create a login to Nomorobo. No need to enter your telo phone number. Essentially, anything I add to Nomorobo helps EVERYONE. I learned that my entry is in the Nomorobo database in an hr or so. It is up to Ooma to refresh their copy of the Nomorobo database often. I do not know how often Ooma does this.

How can you tell if Nomorobo adds a number? I entered the number into Nomorobo and simply got a message saying they'd investigate. I put the number in my personal blacklist to block it. That's the first time I've needed to do that since enabling enhanced blacklist.