Expanded blacklist

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
VoIP
Re: Expanded blacklist

Post by VoIP » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:04 pm

There were workarounds to utilize nomorobo with Ooma before it was introduced in the new beta. Thankfully, Ooma added that functionality and now none of us need a workaround to enjoy the benefits of nomorobo, but it remains a limitation that we cannot report numbers from within Ooma.

Then as now, I am not interested in a workaround that involves a separate login outside of Ooma to manage or enhance blacklists. It good to know for those so inclined, but that's not me.

Ooma's improvements ultimately come more from their innovation and enhancements they build into their service rather than relying on workarounds their users adopt.

Iraisok

Post by Iraisok » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:00 pm

VoIP,

You mean it's a big deal that when you do receive an occasional crap telemarketer, it's a big deal to click another favorite and paste in a number? And seriously, I am not connected with Nomorobo or Ooma in anyway. Realize the number you enter will prevent it for ever ringing your phone again.

Happy to help your cause. Sit back and enjoy!

Ira

PS: I did not receive any crap calls today and very few these days.

brian428

Post by brian428 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:24 am

Tom B wrote:bug reported by VoIp on p3
Is there some plan to actually fix this bug where any change you make to your blacklist will automatically turn off the expanded blacklist? This has been going on for over a month and it's really annoying.

I build web apps for a living, and unless there's something really wrong with the code, this should be trivial to fix. Can someone explain the status or why this is taking so long to resolve?

Thanks.

VoIP

Post by VoIP » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:57 am

Iraisok wrote:VoIP,

You mean it's a big deal that when you do receive an occasional crap telemarketer, it's a big deal to click another favorite and paste in a number? And seriously, I am not connected with Nomorobo or Ooma in anyway. Realize the number you enter will prevent it for ever ringing your phone again.

Happy to help your cause. Sit back and enjoy!

Ira

PS: I did not receive any crap calls today and very few these days.
No, I meant exactly what I said. "I am not interested in a workaround that involves a separate login outside of Ooma...."
It's rather apparent that you don't understand my cause. My cause isn't limited just to robocalls, which is primarily what your workaround addresses. My cause is to provide feedback to Ooma which they can use to improve their service. Elimination of a separate login for reporting those numbers would be an undeniable improvement to Ooma's service.

VoIP

Post by VoIP » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:03 am

brian428 wrote:
Tom B wrote:bug reported by VoIp on p3
Is there some plan to actually fix this bug where any change you make to your blacklist will automatically turn off the expanded blacklist? This has been going on for over a month and it's really annoying.

I build web apps for a living, and unless there's something really wrong with the code, this should be trivial to fix. Can someone explain the status or why this is taking so long to resolve?

Thanks.
I don't recall where exactly, but Tom did say that bug would be fixed in a later release. It's among the items they will fix/change as they move beyond the beta site.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:10 am

Anyone know the priority order of the 3 different blacklists? If the same number is in my personal blacklist set for number disconnect message and the expanded blacklist set for voice mail, where will it go?
Also just to echo what others have already said, it sure would be nice to see blocked calls in the call logs. I just came over from Teleblend/SunRocket where blocked calls did show in the logs and I kind of miss it.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:23 am

mpnret wrote: Also just to echo what others have already said, it sure would be nice to see blocked calls in the call logs. I just came over from Teleblend/SunRocket where blocked calls did show in the logs and I kind of miss it.
Tom B wrote:...Blocked calls will show up in the call logs in a future release.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

Morac

Post by Morac » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:09 am

Iraisok wrote:If even ONE telemarketer crap call does make it, in the evening (when I analyze the Call Log) I redial unknown numbers. Most of the time, the telemarketer crap either does not connect or reveals itself. I then log into Nomorobo directly and enter those numbers that (as I was told) gets into the Nomorobo database w/i 24 hrs. As long as Ooma do their job and refresh the Nomorobo database NIGHTLY, we are "home free!"
I'll mention that it's a bad idea to call back unknown numbers as, unless you block your number, the scammers will then have a known "live" number to sell to other telemarketers and scammers.

It's better to just Google the phone numbers. If they are robocallers, they'll show up on sites like http://800notes.com

Iraisok

Post by Iraisok » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:01 pm

Morac wrote:
Iraisok wrote:I'll mention that it's a bad idea to call back unknown numbers as, unless you block your number, the scammers will then have a known "live" number to sell to other telemarketers and scammers.

It's better to just Google the phone numbers. If they are robocallers, they'll show up on sites like http://800notes.com
Morac,

Agreed! If/when I call back numbers, [these days] I preface with *67 to block my Caller I.D. Prior to last week I was blocking my Caller I.D. and would not need to do that. Yes, searching Google often shows the crap caller is known. Clearly, if the Caller I.D. is "No Name" or some other crap I.D. (notice how kind I am now), I needn't go through the effort. The REASON I want to confirm is, as mentioned, I prefer to feed Nomorobo the crap numbers that filter through to me. And I do NOT want block a desired number. So far so good and once in awhile I realize that while the I.D. was not recognized it was desired and good that I did not paste into Nomorobo.

The days of my receive 3 to 5 telemarketer and Solar Power and "I'm really not trying to sell you anything (bull crap!!!) and Marketing and Political (whether they are allowed or not) ARE ESSENTIALLY OVER!!! Read my text -> I've had days of NO telemarketer calls and I only have 25 number entered in my Personal list that I passed to Nomorobo to ensure they get caught that way. Will leave them in my Personal Black List but have not added anymore to my list but ALWAYS to Nomorobo to help me directly and to help you and everyone else who use the Ooma Expanded [Nomorobo] Blacklist.

Thanks for your comments.
Ira

Kat

Post by Kat » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:43 pm

So, I successfully created a Nomorobo account using AT&T-Landline as the carrier choice. I have a couple of related questions...

1. Do you fill in phone/carrier info in the account (i.e. Ooma) or do you just leave it blank?

2. It seems pretty trivial to report a number that shouldn't be blocked... what stops the spammers/robocallers from using this method to get their numbers unblocked? Should I assume that Nomorobo will somehow check the unblock request to ensure it's legitimate?