Charges to use Ooma app with wifi

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
NB2A
Charges to use Ooma app with wifi

Post by NB2A » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:16 am

I am told by online chat there are charges for using the app per call. Phone customer service says there is not. When I use the app unlike using it years back it tells me my minutes left. So is Ooma now charging to simply use the app via Wifi? That sounds absurd!

oomamaniacal

Re: Charges to use Ooma app with wifi

Post by oomamaniacal » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:27 am

NB2A wrote:I am told by online chat there are charges for using the app per call. Phone customer service says there is not. When I use the app unlike using it years back it tells me my minutes left. So is Ooma now charging to simply use the app via Wifi? That sounds absurd!
Ooma.com wrote:What is the Ooma Mobile calling plan? How does it work?

The Ooma Mobile calling plan can save you even more money by allowing you to purchase bundled Ooma Mobile minutes at a discounted rate—just $4.99/month for 1,000 minutes of calling per month to the U.S. or Canada using the Ooma Mobile app.

Reference: To learn more about the Ooma Mobile calling plan, you can see our FAQ.

What benefits do I get as an Ooma Premier subscriber?

Ooma Premier subscribers get unlimited free domestic calling every month using the Ooma Mobile app.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

NB2A

Post by NB2A » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:34 am

I have no need to be a premier subscriber just to use an app that should be free by wifi. I have the original hub so unless I need to make long distance calls staying free is my choice. Thanks for the info I already know but it still is not answered by Ooma customer service correctly.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 am

Evem if you are non premier, calls to Ooma numbers would be free. Example, you are overseas and you are using wifi to call home (Ooma) for free. Even if you are using wifi, it costs money for Ooma to terminate calls to non Ooma numbers.

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:48 am

NB2A wrote:I have no need to be a premier subscriber just to use an app that should be free by wifi. I have the original hub so unless I need to make long distance calls staying free is my choice. Thanks for the info I already know but it still is not answered by Ooma customer service correctly.
You're welcome.

There are mixed opinions as far as how many features Ooma should offer for free.
phoenixtommy wrote:...Ooma should maintain the servers, pay for the employees, pay for the infrastructure and furnish you ever increasing features solely on whatever profit they make on the Telco, if they make a profit at all.

Being able to call all of the United States for free just isn't enough. Wake up, Ooma. Give us more things for free. Geez. You mean you can afford $10/mo for Premier service. Personally, I think it's a bargain.
It does cost money to develop and maintain up-to-date applications.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

NB2A

Post by NB2A » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:07 pm

I realize it costs money to develop apps. I also remember it seemed to be free years back also. Ooma could easily charge a small fee to buy the app and that solves that problem since they should have enough customers to buy it.Comes down to good business practice in my view.

The other problem Ooma still seems to face you cannot ever get a consistent answer from there customer service either by phone or online.