Internet dropout reconnect

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Mstrick96
Internet dropout reconnect

Post by Mstrick96 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:39 am

When my internet connection drops out, the Ooma Telo (wiFi connected) drops out, but cannot automatically reconnect when the Internet connection comes back up. I have to manually power cycle the Telo to get it to reconnect.

I contacted Support and there response was "That's right!"

All on my other Internet connected devices are able to recover from an Internet dropout on their own. I have a TV, WiiU,mice computers, two smart phones and a range extender and the OOMA Telo and everything is connected wirelessly.

Is there a fix for this on the way?

sdan49

Re: Internet dropout reconnect

Post by sdan49 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:59 am

I installed the Ooma Telo w/wifi dongle two days ago. Everything worked perfectly until overnight. When checking the Telo the first thing yesterday morning, it was offline. I unplugged and re-plugged the Telo. Worked again all day yesterday. I re-set my router not to reboot overnight as it normally does. Again this morning the Telo was offline. I took it back to my PC and checked every single setting on both the router (Belkin 600N) and the Ooma Telo. That includes speed settings, QoS settings, WAN settings, MAC addresses, NETWORK PASSWORD,.....the whole bit. Then, just to be safe, I re-booted everything and the Telo was working wirelessly at my PC station. I then manually re-booted the router (using the configuration/administration page), and the Telo didn't change -- still connected.

So........it's NOT the router, it's NOT the network, and it's NOT the settings on either machine. The only thing left is the signal strength, which is fine during the day.

As you say, every other machine in the house -- including two smart TV's, a Bluray player, two laptops, and a tablet all can connect to the LAN at will and without unplugging -- even after the power to the house goes out during a storm. If it happens again tonight, my only option left is to set the Telo up using the provided Ethernet cable, which defeats the whole purpose of going wireless with my home phone. I am porting the phone number I have had for the past 25 years, and I am now "stuck" with Ooma. That's my story......sorry if it is no help to you, but it might save you some steps.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:56 am

Why does your router reboot itself every night?

Your problem doesn't seem to be that the Telo can't recover after an INTERNET outage but rather a WI-FI outage. My Telo reconnects automatically if I have an INTERNET outage which happens periodically when the modem does a retrain. I am connected via ethernet cable, however.

Why don't you plug your Telo directly in to your router and see if this solves the problem?

M Code

Post by M Code » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:20 am

What brand router?
Note that certain brand routers go into a Sleep Mode when no wi-fi is being used, this causes the Ooma Wi-Fi/BT dongle to lose contact sync as the signal from the router has dropped below certain thresholds. Also this can happen when using a Wi-Fi extender such as those sold/marketed by Amped Wireless.
There are a couple of solutions.
1. Upgrade the router
2. Relocate the Ooma system closer to the router
3. Add an extender like the Apple Airport Express to create a mesh-network

Just my $0.02... ;)