Why FORCED to use beta version?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
Bobby B
Ooma Moderator
Re: Why FORCED to use beta version?

Post by Bobby B » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:16 am

Telo_BK wrote:I can't upgrade on this machine ("CANNOT"). Of you know how to fix a broken apt-get in Kubuntu 12, please advise.
What version of Firefox are you running? Is it possible to install a new version from source if apt-get is not working?

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org ... ases/39.0/
Bobby B

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:27 am

It's version 31.0. But no it isn't feasible to install from source on this machine either. Someday I will do a fresh install of Kubuntu 14, but I can't right now, so I am stuck with 31.0 for now. Thanks again for trying to help me out.

When do you expect the import to be complete and beta to beceome the release version of MyOoma?
Last edited by Telo_BK on Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:05 am

I lumped along with Windows 2000 as long as I could because that desktop computer wouldn't support XP. The last browser that still supported 2000 and still worked with most web pages was Firefox but then they too discontinued support so I was forced to get new hardware which ran a newer version of Windows.

I am still using that desktop (and XP) which fortunately is still being supported by Google and their Chrome browser, but I know sooner or later once again I will be FORCED to spend money on a hardware upgrade. I would just forget about desktop computing but many services require you to log into their full web site to do certain things. While a tablet and a cell phone are nice, you still can't beat a full-size desktop for many functions.

A perfect similar example is telephone service. You read about many people disconnecting their home phone and going 100% cellular. But where I live reception is iffy and I don't like the thought that if I dial 911 the dispatcher has no idea where I am (unless the phones GPS gets a signal which is also iffy). That is why I have Ooma. I will never go without a non-cellular home phone or a desktop computer.

Having said all of this, maybe it's time for you to get a new computer.

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:03 pm

thomasm wrote:Having said all of this, maybe it's time for you to get a new computer.
It's not a hardware issue. It's a bug in Ubuntu (actually several). Thanks for your advice.

suncoaster

Post by suncoaster » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:42 am

Current Firefox version for Linux is 39.0.3. It should be in the Ubuntu Software Center.

Your Kubuntu is not receiving update notices? I'm currently using Linux Mint 17 and have had no problems.
Ooma Premier
Telo Ver.2
Google Voice Extensions

Telo_BK

Post by Telo_BK » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:39 am

suncoaster wrote:Your Kubuntu is not receiving update notices? I'm currently using Linux Mint 17 and have had no problems.
Good. Neither are my several other machines running Kubuntu having problems with Firefox. Yeah- I have lots of computers. Need them too. One is having issues until I have time to upgrade the OS.

Back to the topic. Why does Ooma not maintain the features in working order on the release version of their website? If the beta site is the only one that shows today's calls (for any browser on any machine) and lets you maintain blacklists, and so on- isn't it the de-facto release version?

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:48 am

Telo_BK wrote:If the beta site is the only one that shows today's calls (for any browser on any machine) and lets you maintain blacklists, and so on- isn't it the de-facto release version?
At this point, it's probably better to refer to it as V2. That's what I call it.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:43 am

Telo_BK wrote:When do you expect the import to be complete and beta to beceome the release version of MyOoma?
We're hoping to make MyOomaV2 the default My Ooma (my.ooma.com) this month. The development for contact importing is done -- we're currently just waiting on the importing infrastructure to be pushed out to production.
Bobby B

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Latest firefox, playing voicemail does not work in my ooma. I have to go to my windows desktop and use Internet Explorer. SO FREAKING ANNOYING. I am so sick of vendors who don't thoroughly test their products with all browsers before releasing.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:49 pm

caseybea wrote:Latest firefox, playing voicemail does not work in my ooma. I have to go to my windows desktop and use Internet Explorer. SO FREAKING ANNOYING. I am so sick of vendors who don't thoroughly test their products with all browsers before releasing.
My Firefox says that it is up to date and I have no difficulty playing the voice mails in My Ooma.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions