Ooma makes calls by itself

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
SuzyD123
Ooma makes calls by itself

Post by SuzyD123 » Sun May 15, 2016 5:35 pm

strangers have been calling and calling LINE 2 of our Ooma phone line and saying "Your caller ID showed up on my phone, why did you phone me?" So apparently someone or something is making calls and showing MY caller I.D. Ooma staff have been unwilling or unable to help. The best they have offered is to change our phone number, which would leave casual contacts who may have our phone number and want to call after 2-22 months unable to reach us. If we're going to get rid of this number, we'll just use our cell phones. A few days ago we spoke with tech support, we have done as they have asked (provided them with the names/phone numbers and times of the return calls we've gotten) ... and if they've done ANYTHING with it, they haven't let us know. I'd be happy just to have all line 2 calls go to voicemail ... but they can't manage that either. Any ideas?

TonyW

Re: Ooma makes calls by itself

Post by TonyW » Sun May 15, 2016 6:06 pm

Overseas phone scammers ofttimes spoof local (to us, randomly chosen) numbers when robocalling to increase the likelyhood of someone answering. In this case, they've apparently chosen yours. It has nothing to do with 'Ooma makes calls by itself'. You can verify this by either googling your number, or checking some site like:

http://www.mycallbot.com

IF it's been used extensively, it'll show up with a lot of complaints. Occasionally, you'll see users post here about having received a call from their own number & being advised to just blacklist it. Sadly, it's not unusual.

Path of least resistance... drop the number.

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Re: Ooma makes calls by itself

Post by Tom » Sun May 15, 2016 6:29 pm

Correct, the telo cannot make calls by itself. I've associated a fake device with your secondary number. All calls to that number will now go to voicemail.

viewtopic.php?t=17893