Block all numbers or names starting with a +

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
westsdad
Block all numbers or names starting with a +

Post by westsdad » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:04 pm

Recently started getting an influx of spam/scam calls that have a number or name starting with a + sign and the country code. Examples of +41-xxxxxxxxx or +27-xxxxxxxxx. The x's being a 9 digit number.

If I try and block a number or a name "starting with" a +, the field goes red and displays an error of "enter a valid blocked number".

So the + is not a valid character in the number or name field.

Getting calls at times when we are sleeping and need to block these numbers and names starting with a +.

Hopefully someone from Ooma monitors this forum and can get a request into the web app developers.

I will most likely plug the Ooma into an Alexa controlled outlet that is only powered when we are awake while looking for a VOIP provider that has a more flexible blocking capability.

Robek

Re: Block all numbers or names starting with a +

Post by Robek » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:29 pm

The '+' is a valid leading character in the block-by-number 'Number' field, but it looks like it needs at least three digits following it, or else the UI discards it, for some reason. So that may require creating extra block-by-number entries, to block calls from countries with a 2-digit country calling code.

The '+' and other punctuation characters are not valid characters in the block-by-name 'Text' field. The UI also strips leading or trailing spaces, but at least in that case, users can ask customer support to create those block-by-name entries on their behalf.

The block-by-name entries also don't behave as expected, when the name is a number. Depending on the entry, they can either block every call (except from known contacts), or block no calls at all. Ooma has stated that this is a "known issue", but they did not elaborate, and they did not provide an ETA for a fix.

What other VoIP providers have more flexible blocking capabilities? For custom call blocking, most providers just seem to block specific numbers only, (and not that many of them).

westsdad

Post by westsdad » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:27 am

Thanks for your reply.

Worked with setting up some additional number blocking for calls with country codes.

When entering '+41' (text within the single quotes) it gets saved as '41*' which I'm assuming the '*' is a wild card.
When entering '+41-' I get a "Enter Valid Block Number" error message.
When entering '+41-799' or '+41799' it gets saved as '+41799*' so it's unknown if numbers starting with '+41-799' will get blocked or what will get blocked.

Not sure what other VoIP providers have more flexible blocking capabilities, but it sounds like you have already done some research. That's why I said that I would have to look into if there were other options.

Robek

Post by Robek » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:18 pm

The '-' characters don't matter. Only the leading '+' and digits matter. The trailing '*' is a wild card, for "Numbers that start with ..."