touch tone problems

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
vgoddard
Re: touch tone problems

Post by vgoddard » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:01 am

vgoddard wrote:I don't know if this partial fix will last or not but I just changed the phone cord to a 4 wire instead of 2 wire. Now touch tone is recognized if I use speaker phone (like it did in the beginning). Since I just disconnected my landline yesterday when porting was complete, I think I'll go out & disconnect the telco wiring into the home ....I'll update if that helps anything. :idea:

Please keep sending suggestions if you have any.

Thanks to all
Apparently the 4 wire thing didn't really do anything - the touch tone menus just worked for a few calls. After I disconnected the telco wiring, I tested & touch tone was again unrecognized. So I re-connected the telco wiring and touch tone is still unrecognized. Connecting or disconnecting the telco wiring doesn't seem to have an effect and neither did the change to 4 wire cords. I still have a problem.

MikeekiM

Post by MikeekiM » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:11 am

I also have problems with outgoing DTMF from time to time...

Funny enough, it happens a LOT when I call the Ooma customer support line...

It'll give me menu choices, and when I press the keys, the system continues on like it didn't "hear" my selections...

It's spotty for me...sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't (again...when I call Ooma)...
Customer Since: August 2009
Ooma Hardware: Ooma Telo (Original Legacy Hub/Scout Customer)
Ooma Service: Premier Lifetime (Since October 2009)

vgoddard

Post by vgoddard » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:51 am

WayneDsr wrote:Do you have a new Telo or ooma hub? Do you have your landline integrated with the Telo?

Wayne
ooma hub
no landline now

mmorrissette

Post by mmorrissette » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:12 am

Just wondering if you ever figured out how to solve this problem? We hare having the problem now as well.

As you said, it is spotty. Sometimes the touch tones are recognized, and sometimes they are not. Often, it is one single number (e.g. #2) that does not work, and the others will. (I call in my kids prescriptions and have to enter the prescription number. It will recognized most of the numbers, but not all of them... Very frustrating). The numbers that don't work change from time to time.

Did you ever get any resolution on this, or just learn to live with it?

Thank you!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:24 am

With ooma customer support, it doesn't work even with my cell phone (have to wait until the lady stops talking) so it must be a thing with their system.

I have a Hub and as for other systems understanding my touch tones, I've called a few automated systems and it worked okay so far. I remember one time having some trouble but I just pressed the numbers longer and that seemed to work.

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:17 pm

MikeekiM wrote:I also have problems with outgoing DTMF from time to time...

Funny enough, it happens a LOT when I call the Ooma customer support line...

It'll give me menu choices, and when I press the keys, the system continues on like it didn't "hear" my selections...

It's spotty for me...sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't (again...when I call Ooma)...
For some unknown reason, ooma runs their Automated Attendant using a VIC-20 with a cassette tape drive - or so it seems. In a world were every other voice company has great (OK, passable) IVR's that can understand my spoken word, you have to wait until the ooma lady feels it appropriate to listen for a DTMF selection. Has nothing to do with the hub or Telo. I normally make my support calls from a LANDLINE. Maybe if we could all pitch in and buy Premier ooma would be able to replace the VIC-20 with a Commodore 64 that would allow the ooma lady to listen and talk at the same time. :P
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

mmorrissette

Post by mmorrissette » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:41 am

For what it is worth, my issue is NOT with Ooma customer support. They have a really slow IVR, and I get that. No big deal. What I don't understand why other businesses’ IVRs are unable to interpret Ooma touch tones some of the time.

ebrown

Post by ebrown » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Has anybody made any progress on this? I have a nearly 100% failure rate with touch tone menu systems as well. I've tried many different systems and they all consistently fail. I have a new Telo with a Panasonic Dect 6.0 cordless phone connected to it.

This is a significant problem.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:50 pm

ebrown wrote:Has anybody made any progress on this? I have a nearly 100% failure rate with touch tone menu systems as well. I've tried many different systems and they all consistently fail. I have a new Telo with a Panasonic Dect 6.0 cordless phone connected to it.

This is a significant problem.
Through alarm call testing, I found that *70 prefix (disable call waiting) helps in DTMF xmittal accuracy, could you try that and see if you get better results?

Fa King Fones

Post by Fa King Fones » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:17 am

2016, PEOPLE!!! 2016, And this issue is not resolved. My Ooma worked fine for nearly ten months, but it will be gone by week's end if they can't make this work. You cannot avoid automated phone answering systems!!! THAT renders Ooma USELESS! Whoever said their problem "is not" Ooma customer service is dead wrong. They should know the how and why of this problem by now. It's been a known issue for years!