Can send, but not receive faxes

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
nOOb
Re: Can send, but not receive faxes

Post by nOOb » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:35 pm

I thought of getting a core system online, but I wanted to test it out without going through the hassle of returning it to the "internet" if it didn't work out. Maybe I will try it. Thanks for the info!

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:42 pm

murphy wrote:I believe the hub has the ability to detect the initial fax handshake and switch to fax mode.
The Telo apparently does not have this capability so far.
This is correct. We are adding this capability "soon". For now there are two things we are doing: First we have a "enable high-bandwidth codec" flag which should help, except there is a problem with it working with inbound calls. This bug has been fixed and is awaiting release to everyone. Second we are adding a second option to turn on fax optimizations. This will be enabled on a per phone number basis, so you can turn on "fax mode" for just your fax number. This should be out in early December.

tgoins49

Post by tgoins49 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:49 am

Dennis, when will this fix be pushed out? Am I better off with the Hub if I am to use ooma primarily for faxing? I just picked up the Telo last week and I have spent way too much time trying to make this thing work. I can send faxes, but I still cannot receive. I have tried everything. Will this fix correct my issues? It is strange, my fax machine can tell the difference between a call and fax, but the fax does not come through. Please advise...

nOOb

Post by nOOb » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:40 am

Is there somewhere I can go to view updates as they roll out? I am spending ~$25 per month to send/receive faxes, I would love to stick with the Telo and have it pay for itself in a year...

tommies

Post by tommies » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:53 pm

nOOb wrote:Is there somewhere I can go to view updates as they roll out?
Board index ‹ Ooma Status & Updates
viewforum.php?f=10
tommies

Fred

Post by Fred » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:11 pm

I have a fairly new HP All in one OJ Pro 8500. When I got around to setting up the fax, I could not, until I discovered adding the *99 before the dialed number. It worked to send, but not to receive. After reading a lot, including here, I simply turned off the "automatic answer" on the fax, and bingo!, it worked.
Finally, I must add the appreciation of the writers for cluing us into HP's "Faxback" system. It works well, and now I don't have to be a pest to my friends to test out my system.

dorkmo

Post by dorkmo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:03 pm

i guess i should have searched for fax problems before i got the telo :(

anyways just wanted to chime in and say im having the same problems with receiving.
its a brother. ive just tried with auto answer. i get the call it rings twice and then the fax says "recieving". maybe 5-10 seconds later it just goes back to the defualt tiem date display, no error messages or anything.

one thing thats different for me that ive seen people talk about is "fax mode". i went to system prefferences and there is nothing there about fax settings. all thats there is the connection tone, the 10 digit thing, and the high bandwidth deal.

i got this for the sole purpose of faxing, gift for my dad... i didnt really need it otherwise... should i take it back to best buy and order the older hub online?

any new news with you guys otehrwise? saw something about an "early december" update?

dorkmo

Post by dorkmo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 pm

ok so i changed a few things and i wasnt very scientific about it so i dont really know what it was.

i maxed out the voicemail pickup time to 59 sec
and put the high bandwidth setting on

i tried this a couple times and it didnt work

then i think i turned off the QoS setting on my router, but it looked like it was already off? i duno it was checked but greyed out...
D-Link DIR-655

then i think i turned off the special dial tone... but i think i still hear it so im kinda confused about that...

so i guess anyone of those thing worked and it just took a while to update the telo?

ps thanks for the HP number too

a8le

Post by a8le » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:39 pm

i finally have my fax setup right. thanks to this post. :)

oom101

Post by oom101 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:23 pm

Just get maxemail and it sends you all your voice messages as a voice clip, and emails your faxes as an email attachment. I think it is less than $5 per month, but to be that cheap, I use a Chicago area code, where they are located.
Of course, if your fax number is famous, changing it won't make you happy. Just some thoughts. That way the fax machine does not even have to be on unless you are sending. I think they can fax out from your PC, too.
I love maxemail. Don't know if there are limits for huge faxers though. Good luck!