Unable to make outgoing calls

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
bw1
Re: Unable to make outgoing calls

Post by bw1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:57 pm

fahdandemily wrote:After rebooting everything (my combined DSL modem/router and ooma telo) a few times then searching around the setup.ooma.com page on the Telo, the outgoing calls have spontaneously started working (for now), but now for some reason all the lights on the Telo are off. The only thing I actually changed in the setup website was increasing the upload bandwith from the default too 600kbps, but why that should affect the lights or the inherent ability to even MAKE a call I don't understand.

Is there some hidden option in the Telo that allows it to turn off the lights? I know I did not actually change ANYTHING except the upload/outgoing bandwith. The only other thing I noticed is that after rebooting my router and telo the dsl router told me it found another device on the network trying to act as a router and that it could cause a conflict. I told the DSL router to resolve it on its own and that allowed the internet to start working (it had stopped when I rebooted everything ) and perhaps enabled the outbound calls, but I don't really get what is going on here. Any ideas?
You probably accidentally pressed the brightness button on the Telo and if the brightness was set to the highest level it will then be set to off. Press the brightness button again.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:14 pm

fahdandemily wrote: Is there some hidden option in the Telo that allows it to turn off the lights?
The light dimmer is the center button on the top row, next to the speaker volume button.

VicMatson

Post by VicMatson » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Thanks for the tip, too bad Ooma CS doesn't know that. But now both my numbers are all listed as shared not like before where 1 was for Ooma and the other was listed under handset. The good news is both of my numbers are being forwarded to my cell where only 1 was before the fax thing.

Oh,..I got a bad feeling about this, every time something happens I lose my forwards translating into income.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:22 pm

VicMatson wrote: Oh,..I got a bad feeling about this, every time something happens I lose my forwards translating into income.
Sounds like you're putting a lot of faith in a service - both VoIP and Ooma itself - that's cutting edge and not known for 6 sigma reliability. You probably need a back up if you're that reliant.

When I got Ooma, I went out and got 2 prepaid cell phones that also work in the house - just in case.

I want to have another option for communication in an emergency or just because of need.

VicMatson

Post by VicMatson » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:39 pm

Oh, make no mistake I have cell phones, I just don't want to give the number out. It's on my web site and I would get calls 24/7 from anyone. I have used Vonage for years and in the last 10 haven't has as many issues as with Ooma. I'm really beginning to think they are relying on an offshore developer that isn't up to the task.

As soon as Google Voice does porting I will. I've also had an account with them and they seem to be better. Ooma is supposed to be doing Google extensions next week(yes I do except a few delays) so that may be of some help.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:46 pm

VicMatson wrote:Oh, make no mistake I have cell phones, I just don't want to give the number out. It's on my web site and I would get calls 24/7 from anyone.
Check out Google Voice call widgets. They're a great way of making it possible for people to call you based on a website widget without giving out your number.

fahdandemily

Post by fahdandemily » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:44 pm

I have a 2Wire Gateway 2700 combined DSL modem/router using AT&T. Thanks for the brightness tip -- I guess I should read the manual next time to figure out what all these buttons are actually for -- since I use the voicemail on my cordless handset I never actually hit any of the Telo buttons for anything, so I never even looked to see what all of them do. I still don't understand why rebooting everything a bunch of times and then increasing the upload bandwith would fix this problem I had with the inability to make outgoing calls, but I guess if it works I'll just let it go.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:59 pm

Groundhound wrote:
VicMatson wrote:I just don't want to give the number out. It's on my web site and I would get calls 24/7 from anyone.
Check out Google Voice call widgets. They're a great way of making it possible for people to call you based on a website widget without giving out your number.
I love the Google Voice call widgets. As a recovery pastor I DO want people to be able to reach me 24/7. But I don't want phone spammers that would be attracted by a posting full number like 800-555-7355. So I have the call widget on our web page and people can call easily and for free from anywhere in the US. Since it is a GV number, it rings me where ever I am. Google Voice and ooma are great together. I can't wait to have them roll out the GV Extensions that were previewed at CES.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

ezsat01

Post by ezsat01 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:32 pm

I switch from bell to 3 party of distributel. My ooma set up was working well. After the switch i could get incoming calls but no out going calls. After I dial it is silence and then about 21 seconds later I get a fast busy tone, no matter what number I dial. I tried alot of things that many people suggested on here. I'm running a smartrg sr505n (router/modem). What i ended up doing and it worked. I turned off the router on the smartrg sr505n and just ran it as a modem (bridge). Used my own router and plugged it into the smart rg sr505n. Hope this helps someone else. The following links will help you turn off the router if you have the same device.

SmartRG 505n Bridge Mode (working only as a modem)

http://resisupport.primus.ca/en/advance ... ridge-mode