Is Caller ID with Name a Premier feature?

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
jaysullivan
Is Caller ID with Name a Premier feature?

Post by jaysullivan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:29 pm

I know caller ID is a basic feature on Ooma, but do you need Premier in order to also get the caller's name? I have a Panasonic phone that has Talking Caller ID where it announces the caller's name and I just want to make sure this will keep working when my free Premier subscription expires. I'm pretty sure I read that it was a base feature, but the Premier Features page lists the following:

Caller Name
See the name of callers, even if they're not in your address book.

So, is this a Premier feature or a base feature?

Thanks

Leeway

Re: Is Caller ID with Name a Premier feature?

Post by Leeway » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:40 pm

I have Panasonic Talking Caller ID phones and I do not have Premier. The caller ID works just fine for me.

jaysullivan

Post by jaysullivan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks, that's what I figured but wanted to check to be sure. The Premier features web page makes that a little confusing.

amoney

Post by amoney » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:22 am

To clarify the Premier includes what is referred to caller ID deluxe, where the name information is also transmitted, not just the number (like cell phones do).

If save a number to your address book with a name, the Panasonic should continue to annouce the name. But for any new numbers the name will not be automaticly displayed unless you have Premier.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:26 am

My understanding is that this (caller-id with name) is BASED ON THE TYPE OF UNIT you have:

If you have an Ooma core (Ooma hub + scout) - then based on the terms of service that is designed for that box, caller-id WITH NAME is included in the base service. Ooma is very careful to honor the terms of service advertised//included in the box of the unit you purchased.

If however you have an Ooma TELO (the newer unit), then no, called-id WITH NAME is not included in the base service. Regular caller-id is included, but you need to subscribe to the Premiere service to get caller-id with NAME.

For this reason alone, I chose the Core instead of the Telo - which I found available new at Amazon.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

amoney

Post by amoney » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:58 am

caseybea wrote:My understanding is that this (caller-id with name) is BASED ON THE TYPE OF UNIT you have:

If you have an Ooma core (Ooma hub + scout) - then based on the terms of service that is designed for that box, caller-id WITH NAME is included in the base service. Ooma is very careful to honor the terms of service advertised//included in the box of the unit you purchased.

If however you have an Ooma TELO (the newer unit), then no, called-id WITH NAME is not included in the base service. Regular caller-id is included, but you need to subscribe to the Premiere service to get caller-id with NAME.

For this reason alone, I chose the Core instead of the Telo - which I found available new at Amazon.
Curious are you going to get hit with the 12 yearly fcc fee? I was mulling over the same decision but I went with the Telo in the end, I could still potentially get the HUB but...

ANyways, just to reiterate, with the new Telo, you get basic caller ID number only, Premier gets you caller ID with name (sometimes refered to as deluxe).

Funny story with my landline initially Bellsouth, I did not know there was a difference, I mean if your paying extra fror caller ID you want it all, so I request caller ID, They add it and I only see the number, so I thought there was a problem and checked my handset and then called, then the Bellsouth rep say I only have basic, I mean com'on, so the fee went up from 8 bucks to 10 bucks, give me a break, what a scam.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

jaysullivan

Post by jaysullivan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:13 am

caseybea wrote:My understanding is that this (caller-id with name) is BASED ON THE TYPE OF UNIT you have:

Thanks for the clarification caseybea. Now that you mention it, I do remember reading the same thing - the Hub has Caller ID With Name included in the base package. Otherwise, this was going to be a deal-breaker for me. I just got a 4-phone DECT system a month ago specifically because my wife wanted talking caller ID on all the phones. If that went away when my Premier subscription expired, I would have to return the Ooma system. I'm NOT paying for Premier - the whole reason why I got the Ooma hub was so I could avoid monthly fees.

Mike-o-Matic

Post by Mike-o-Matic » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:21 am

amoney wrote:I mean com'on, so the fee went up from 8 bucks to 10 bucks, give me a break, what a scam.
Boy, you're not kidding about that. (Warning: I'm going off-topic here, so skip my post if you like).

My girlfriend's family has Caller ID from AT&T too... And if you ask me, Caller ID is one of the most egregious examples of paying WAY too much for too little value. Their phone bill reads like a neverending nickel-and-diming from Hell. For crying out loud, they're paying $8/mo for LINE BACKER, yet another humongous RIP-OFF.

They're not at all technically inclined though, and I just managed to get them off of dial-up (!!!) so there's no way I can convince them to switch to ooma/VOIP just now. This, despite switching being a lot easier than they believe. They're simply brainwashed into thinking basic phone service must cost $600+ a year -- to coin a phrase, they have "'AT&T Stockholm Syndrome!"

But I'll keep working on it. Eventually I'll get 'em off of POTS!

Long-live ooma!
o-matic
Customer Since: November 2009.
Number Port: ordered 12/14/09; completed 01/07/10.
Hardware: one Hub, one Scout, one Telo.
Service Level: Annual Premier.

JustDad

Post by JustDad » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:30 am

The caller ID -w- name for the Basic Hub service is a nice draw, but the one thing I am finding I cannot live without is the Blacklist feature (Premier Service Only). In three weeks I've accumulated 9 telemarketers to my Blacklist. It is amazing how much quieter the house is at night now, and yes, I am on the no-call list.

sardog

Post by sardog » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:55 pm

What a BATE-and-Switch....the back of my Telo box states caller-ID is included....It does not say anywhere on the box that you have to pay $9.99 a month for premium service to get the name with your caller-ID. This is a deal breaker for me and will probably be returning my Telo.... Maybe I'll get a Hub unit from Amazon instead.