Use of 2 Hubs

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
morrisonhouse
Use of 2 Hubs

Post by morrisonhouse » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:02 pm

I purchased a Hub/Scout yesterday. Setup was easy enough for the Hub. haven't tried the scout yet.

I was considering buying a second Hub for a second line without signing up for premire.
Can I piggy back to HUBs
I have comcast cable 2 gig up/16gig down

Richard

Bill D

Re: Use of 2 Hubs

Post by Bill D » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:11 pm

Richard - - I've had two Hubs running non-premier with grandfathered TOS behind my D-Link DIR-655 router (using the router's QoS) for several months and I'm very pleased with the call quality and performance.

Forget connecting a phone to the Scout. The other party will hear bad sound quality.

Bill

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Bill D wrote:Richard - - I've had two Hubs running non-premier with grandfathered TOS behind my D-Link DIR-655 router (using the router's QoS) for several months and I'm very pleased with the call quality and performance.

Forget connecting a phone to the Scout. The other party will hear bad sound quality.

Bill
While I agree about two hubs (I have a Telo and Hub behind my router and have great sound quality) I also have had the Scout directly connected to my hub (about 20 feet) and have perfect sound quality on the Scout.

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:09 pm

hpepper wrote:
While I agree about two hubs (I have a Telo and Hub behind my router and have great sound quality) I also have had the Scout directly connected to my hub (about 20 feet) and have perfect sound quality on the Scout.
I am sure *you* have great quality on the scout-- it sounds clear as a whistle. But the REMOTE party will more often than not hear really bad quality from you-- crackling, etc. I didn't believe it until I left myself some very long voicemail messages at my office phone, and then listened to them. The call quality from the SCOUT phone was really bad.

If you have verified that REMOTE people in your scout-based calls are hearing you CLEARLY-- than it's an anomaly. Most everyone experiences poor quality...
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:20 pm

caseybea wrote:If you have verified that REMOTE people in your scout-based calls are hearing you CLEARLY-- than it's an anomaly. Most everyone experiences poor quality...
I second this - - I have 3 Hub/Scouts in two homes each with a 4-inch Hub-Scout wire. All Scouts have this same one-sided call quality issue.

However, I've seen many posts from folks happy with Scout call quality, which leave me wondering if I'm missing something. I suspect many folks today tolerate bad call quality because of using cell phones and don't complain. My perfectionist friends bashed me on my first call to them from my Scout.

Bill

hpepper

Post by hpepper » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Bill D wrote:
caseybea wrote:If you have verified that REMOTE people in your scout-based calls are hearing you CLEARLY-- than it's an anomaly. Most everyone experiences poor quality...
I second this - - I have 3 Hub/Scouts in two homes each with a 4-inch Hub-Scout wire. All Scouts have this same one-sided call quality issue.

However, I've seen many posts from folks happy with Scout call quality, which leave me wondering if I'm missing something. I suspect many folks today tolerate bad call quality because of using cell phones and don't complain. My perfectionist friends bashed me on my first call to them from my Scout.

Bill

Just curious - Do you have the Scout connected directly with a wire directly from the Hub to the Scout? I am not using home wiring - just a single dedicated run between them.

and yes, the caller on the other end hears a good clear call. I often call my wife from work and the call quality is good both ways.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:35 pm

hpepper wrote:Do you have the Scout connected directly with a wire directly from the Hub to the Scout?....
and yes, the caller on the other end hears a good clear call. I often call my wife from work and the call quality is good both ways.
I have a single dedicated 4-inch wire wall-port to wall-port between Hub and Scout. I've also tried longer wires to see if that helped but it didn't.

You may want to try leaving several voice mail messages at work like caseybea did. It's worse with monotone sounds like "EEEEEEEEE".

Bill

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 pm

morrisonhouse wrote: Can I piggy back to HUBs
I have comcast cable 2 gig up/16gig down
Not sure if I know what you mean by "piggyback". But you can purchase a second hub, the network setup would be to have your router/gateway before the hubs.

Essentially, you would connect the hubs up to the router as devices and not use either "home" port off of the hub.

Does this answer your question? I hope I was clear.

Bill D

Post by Bill D » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:46 pm

hpepper - If you find that you truly have Hub-quality sound on the remote end of your Scout calls, your set-up may be the key to the puzzle of Scout call quality discussed much on this forum.

The only variable here seems to be the dedicated point-to-point wire. Exactly how long (to the inch) is your wire. Is it flat 2-conductor telephone wire or 4-conductor? Is it twisted pair?

I'm pondering about HPNA signal reflections and such. It's a long shot but who knows?

Bill

morrisonhouse

Post by morrisonhouse » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Technically speaking:
I have my HUB plugged into the router D-Link DIR-655.
I have 3 other computers plugged into the router, so I don't have an empty spot.
Can I piggyback 2 HUBS into one ethernet plug on the router or Do I need 2 empty ethernet slots on the router?

Richard