Block all calls from caller ID, "800 Service"

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
whn
Block all calls from caller ID, "800 Service"

Post by whn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:51 pm

instead of numbers,

can you add a feature that blocks any calls with caller ID of "800 Service"

Those are 99.9% of the time, calls you don't want.

By also doing this, it helps eliminate the need to individual block 800 numbers, usually they all share the same caller ID text of "800 Service" and we will have more numbers to use (out of the 128 limit) to use for blocking.

Right now, the majority of my block numbers, about 75% of them, all have the caller id of "800 service"

I'm not sure who wants calls from an 800 number. Even fraud detection services with your bank or credit card, don't call from an 800 number.

just an idea. not sure if its possible

bw1

Re: Block all calls from caller ID, "800 Service"

Post by bw1 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:55 am

I've had legitimate calls with a caller id of "800 Service". Can't remember now who it was from though.

southsound

Post by southsound » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:31 am

bw1 wrote:I've had legitimate calls with a caller id of "800 Service". Can't remember now who it was from though.
I have had several calls from a medical specialty group that uses a robo-service to remind me of upcoming appointments. I believe this service is used by many medical providers to remind patients because the recording never identified the doctor but just said, "This is a reminder of your upcoming doctor appointment on Tuesday, etc." Although they could easily use a CID like "Doctors Office" for the calls, they use "800 Service." If ooma did allow blacklisting the numbers based on this CID, it would have to be on a personal basis and even then, some would miss the calls without knowing it.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

whn

Post by whn » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:46 pm

bw1 wrote:I've had legitimate calls with a caller id of "800 Service". Can't remember now who it was from though.

Understood, I'm asking for an optional opt in service, where you can pick:

X Block all incoming calls from an 800 Number

Personally, I want my doctor or dentist office to call me from their local business number, which they all do. Not some 800 robotic message when it comes to my health care but I understand what you're saying.
Last edited by whn on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

8th-Man

Post by 8th-Man » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:52 pm

I've been receiving calls from caller I/D "800 Service" for over 5 years now. Sometimes several times in a day. They numbers listing this 800 Service will be slightly different to completely different. For example, the last 3 "800 Service" calls I got between 21 to 27 Nov 2019, the first 2 start of with (855) but the rest of the number changes. First 2 calls are (855) 212-5928 and (855) 217-4411. But then I will get a call from 800 Service like (877) 213-0849 where even the first 3 numbers have changed. Like I stated before, sometimes I will get several calls from this I/D in one day and the first 2 or 3 numbers will have the same first 3 numbers and the rest will differ, sometimes only slightly in the last 4 numbers. (855) seems to be the bulk of what these calls start with. Rarely, I will get an "800 Service" I/D from an actual (800) number, like I got on 30 Oct 2019 from (800) 965-8066. On occasion I have called some of these numbers back, about half of them will be a number not in service message or disconnected. On a very few occasions, the call connected to a Debt Collection agency, looking for an ex-wife or information on her. These agencies, when they can not get a person to pick up or they block their number, will google their name to find people related to them to call for information. Unfortunately my name still comes up as a spouse or possible spouse even after being divorced over 27 years now and I haven't been able to find a way to change that or delete my information from the internet or linked to her.
But most of these "800 Service" I/D Calls are Spam or Phishing Scams. They are sometimes irritating if you are expecting a call and one of these show up when you stop what you are doing to get to the phone. But I've become wise to many of these calls with not only the "800 Service" but all numbers I do not recognize. If they do not leave a message and or a call back number, it wasn't important enough for me to worry about.
Today, these scammers can hack into unused numbers and make calls at will and will do anything to try and get your hard earned money. Best thing to do is just let a number/ID you do not recognize to go to the answering recording. Just remember that there are a number of scams out there like the IRS one. So if, on a rare occasion they leave a message with a call back number, like from your bank or credit card company for example, make sure the number they give you to call back on is a legit one. If you do not recognize it call the main number for that company to insure it is from them. NEVER give any information like account numbers or personal information, like your SSAN over the phone. No one should be asking you that information. Again, if you think it isn't right, go with your gut feeling and tell them you will call them back and get their number. Then call that company's main number to verify it is a legit call. Better safe than sorry.