Scout question

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
murphy
Re: Scout question

Post by murphy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:53 am

roadshow wrote:
lbmofo wrote:To distribute ooma dialtone throughout the house, you need to be certain that nothing else is connected to your house wiring that may apply some kind of voltage; otherwise you may damage your Hub.
Does that mean I should not use the splitter that came with ooma to plug both phone and wall jack together in to my house wiring?
It is okay to have the dial tone and the hub / scout communication on the same wire pairs.
It is preferable to separate them on different wire pairs but it will work fine.
It is imperative that a DSL signal is not on the same wire pair as the hub / scout communication. That will break both types of communication.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

roadshow

Post by roadshow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:19 am

Thanks. I have my wall and phone both going to the splitter and in to the house wiring. Has worked great so far. I am not impressed with the sound of a phone connected directly to the Scout. Seems too distorted, even when it is connected directly to the hub with a short wire. I actually have my Scout connected to the wall with a splitter so that I can use the phone on the other jack of the splitter. This way I can accesss the voice mail and have a phone connected without the distortion.

mikesv

Post by mikesv » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:35 am

murphy wrote:
roadshow wrote:
lbmofo wrote:To distribute ooma dialtone throughout the house, you need to be certain that nothing else is connected to your house wiring that may apply some kind of voltage; otherwise you may damage your Hub.
Does that mean I should not use the splitter that came with ooma to plug both phone and wall jack together in to my house wiring?
It is okay to have the dial tone and the hub / scout communication on the same wire pairs.
It is preferable to separate them on different wire pairs but it will work fine.
It is imperative that a DSL signal is not on the same wire pair as the hub / scout communication. That will break both types of communication.

I am hoping to use the "preferable" setup. Instead of duplex splitters, should I buy the L1, L2, L1+L2 splitter you described?

Plug the PHONE port into the L1, WALL into L2?

I may decide to keep my premier... who knows, and if splitters you described may provide a cleaner setup with the Scout/Hub, I would rather buy those.

(vs the duplex splitter only http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 912#p62131)