don't want to pay local taxes, live in china

Problems using My Ooma? Ideas on how we can make it better? You’ve come to the right place.
FeiGeiWay
Re: don't want to pay local taxes, live in china

Post by FeiGeiWay » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:54 am

Here's my concern, since I don't currently have an income from the states, my u.s. bank account will continue to dwindle down. If I earn money in China, I can only put it in a Chinese Bank account that does not have a visa or mastercard. only china unionpay. There will come a point in time where my u.s. checking account will have like $3.00 usd in it and ooma will overdraft my account for $3.47 and cause a negative balance and cause $35 overdraft penalties.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:07 am

The only device that doesn't have a recurring tax is the Ooma Core. No way to avoid tax other than that.

NB2A

Post by NB2A » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:13 pm

FeiGeiWay wrote:I just read you responses - I have a Telo. Are you guys saying there's no way around the e911 taxes unless I buy and old model core?

I just don't it's fair to force me to pay the e911 tax when i don't live in the country and would be useless to me.

Our taxes are not fair on us either!
The US will be charging taxes to every other country now

Did you miss that Obama speech? :o

FeiGeiWay

Post by FeiGeiWay » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:49 am

I guess I would have to shell out another 250 to get an ooma core on ebay for true no monthly fees then.

stevepierce

Post by stevepierce » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 am

If you are a US citizen, even money earned entirely overseas is subject to US Income tax.

So if you are avoiding money you owe to the IRS already, what does it matter if you have to pay $12 a year to use a phone with a US number. If you aren't a US citizen, then by the Chinese equivalent of an Ooma. Oh wait, there isn't one. So if you want to use it, you need to send the gov $12, boo hoo.

It sounds like you don't want to pay your taxes, not too sure many of us around here are willing to help you cheat the tax man. Especially with school closing and police layoffs and milions of US citizens out of work, hard to have any sympathy for someone trying to avoid paying US taxes.

Like another poster said, skip a couple of Starbucks in one year and pay your phone bill and you are set. Put a hundred on a prepaid Visa card and you are set for 3 years.

- Steve

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:16 am

FeiGeiWay wrote:I guess I would have to shell out another 250 to get an ooma core on ebay for true no monthly fees then.
Yes, that's the only option you have.

DTMF

Post by DTMF » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:11 pm

I would imagine that Ooma support would be willing to let you pay those fees in advance. Call and ask if they have some alternate method of payment that would work better for you?
Ooma customer since November 2009.
Formerly employed at another VoIP company.
My opinions are my own.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:59 pm

"Gosh, fellas, I want to live in a Communist country but not pay taxes."

"Gosh, fellas, I want to use extensive US infrastructure, and I want to do so as a parasite."

Anything else you'd like?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:50 pm

nn5i wrote:"Gosh, fellas, I want to live in a Communist country but not pay taxes."
nn51, the dude just doesn't want to pay RRF. Let's not bring China into this.
nn5i wrote:"Gosh, fellas, I want to use extensive US infrastructure, and I want to do so as a parasite."
Wow wow wow! Take it easy nn5i! Are you calling all Core users parasites?! Or just the ones that live in China? What the heck??!!

Ooma allows what this dude is trying to do. Further, if you buy a Core, there is no RRF.
Hence, take a deep breath and let it be. 别管闲事!

https://www.ooma.com/products/faqs#faq-331

Can I use the Ooma system internationally?

The Ooma system can be used anywhere there is a high-speed Internet connection. Regardless of where you use it, calls to the US will be free and calls outside the US will be subject to low-cost international rates. If you plan to use the device overseas, be sure to use a phone that meets US standards, and be aware that the power supply that comes with the Ooma Hub is built for US power specifications. Also, if you choose to install and use the Ooma system outside the US, you'll be solely responsible for compliance with international laws and subject to all associated fees, taxes, tariffs, and legal penalties.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:31 pm

nn5i wrote:"Gosh, fellas, I want to live in a Communist country but not pay taxes."
"Gosh, fellas, I want to use extensive US infrastructure, and I want to do so as a parasite."
Anything else you'd like?
This kind of attitude saddens me. Although it is certainly your right to feel that way and even your right to express it, I am amazed that it comes from a person who is as well educated and articulate as I know you to be. Maybe you're just having a bad day. EFI, a local group that helps those who struggle with developmental issues has a bumper sticker that pretty much sums up my thoughts: Attitude is the biggest disability
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.